the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

March fungi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March fungi
    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 7:36pm
Nothing special here (I presume) but the size was impressive - the first specimen was just under 2 feet wide! The whole log/stump was erupting, very nice to see...

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 10:51pm
Well admittedly it's not a rarity, but i'd still consider your find special. Encountering a species in abundance is usually an impressive spectacle and fungi are so fleeting.

These are edible and sometimes cultivated for sale, Oyster Mushrooms (Pleurotus). You can buy a kit and grow them on an old book - quite good fun though the results were a bit disappointing when i tried it.

I don't think it's possible to be 100% sure of species from photos, but your fungi are relatively pale in colour and i suspect if you examined underneath, some of the stems would be fused together at the base. A pretty good match for Branching Oyster Pleurotus cornucopiae.

Great find and nice to see!
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 3:03pm
As always, thanks for the id - makes it far more interesting!

Here is todays beauty from some woodland near Hythe...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic