the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

macro photography for reptiles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrDom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 4:53pm

Hi Tim etc - to add my two penneth

Macro lenses are very useful as they provide a seamless way of getting in close. I have used a 200mm 'normal' lens with an extension tube for snakes to moderate success but macro lenses are more flexible.

Re shutter speeds - there is a 'rule of thumb' to avoid camera shake of using a shutter speed of 'one over' the focal length in mm. In these days of cropped cameras read effective focal length - so for a 150mm lens on full frame this would be the next speed over 1/150 which would be 1/250, for a crop frame it would be 1/225 [i.e. 150x1.5=225] which in this instance would also be 1/250. The sigma 150mm is very good (as are most prime macro lenses in fact) and is heavy but this can help mitigate camera shake as the setup has more mass/inertia!

Technique also helps reduce shake, use a tripod, bean bag, coat, rucksack etc. If using a tripod/bean bag (and if you have enough time!) use the camera's mirror lock-up or live view, along with a cable release - which helps remove movement caused by 'mirror bounce'.

Many people do use flash to fill-in light the subject and allow smaller apertures/greater depth of field. The 'look' this creates is subject to personal preference. Flash durations are so short that this will help with camera shake - although if there is enough natural light coming in at the same time you can still get blur.

HTH Dominic

Common lizard, 90mm macro on Canon crop DSLR, 1/160 sec handheld. F5

Edited by DrDom
Dominic Tantram - Guildford
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group (SARG)
zarozinia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zarozinia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 8:12pm

Hi

Virtually all my reptile photographs are hand held, I simply lean on something such as my knee or rucksack if I need extra stability. If I'm out and about I tend to take a thick, large bin bag rolled up in my kit bag to throw on wet or prickly areas so I can get in close.

I mainly use a Canon 60mm F2.8 lens for most of my macro photography, although the Sigma 70-300 comes in handy when I cant get close. I do carry a ring flash with me for those times when lighting is poor, but rarely need to use it out doors

Some of my pics, all from my garden - aren't I lucky

tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 10:18pm

great pics folks and thanks for the advice/help.

tim

Edited by tim hamlett
tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 11:03pm

Hi Tim.

I use a Nikon D200 with a Micro-Nikkor 200mm f2.8, which is effectively 300mm in old 35mm film terms.  It's a "proper macro lens" but only goes to 1:2 without extension tubes (which I have but have never used for herps).  I've got some pretty good results, but in the proper hands my set up would give "pro quality".  I also have a 105mm Micro-Nikkor but have never successfully used it for herps, as I find I need the extra length of the 200mm - someone with better field skills may find the 105mm okay.  A big problem I find with the 200mm is lack of depth of field.  Dominic's Common Lizard photo shows this extremely well.  I have used a single flash to allow a small aperture with reasonable results.

Cheers,

Tim.

Gue Jam Fowsid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gue Jam Fowsid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 10:30pm

Nice pics Brett,  I too have a Sigma macro. Its the 105mm.  It has performed well although I feel that in some situations I now need a better flash to increase the depth of field, and increase the shutter speed to get sharper shots.

Ophiuchus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ophiuchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 11:24am
I use a Canon powershot A630, its not a slr but it does have a impressive macro mode, which allows me to get to 1cm of the subject, and sometimes the reptiles do stay still to allow me to get that close to use the macro effectively! taht is the only problem, you do have to get very close for it to work.
Ophiuchus *~*the serpent bearer*~*
Northern Venom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northern Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by tim-f tim-f wrote:

Hi Tim.

I use a Nikon D200 with a Micro-Nikkor 200mm f2.8, which is effectively 300mm in old 35mm film terms.  It's a "proper macro lens" but only goes to 1:2 without extension tubes (which I have but have never used for herps).  I've got some pretty good results, but in the proper hands my set up would give "pro quality".  I also have a 105mm Micro-Nikkor but have never successfully used it for herps, as I find I need the extra length of the 200mm - someone with better field skills may find the 105mm okay.  A big problem I find with the 200mm is lack of depth of field.  Dominic's Common Lizard photo shows this extremely well.  I have used a single flash to allow a small aperture with reasonable results.

Cheers,

Tim.

Is that an old manual focus lens as the 200mm Micro is F4 and is 1:1 repro?

Edited by Northern Venom - 30 Dec 2011 at 11:55pm
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 9:25pm
I use the Canon 100mm Macro 2.8 IS L lens for all my reptile photography. Once you get used to your photos being taken with a macro lens then you'll never be satisfied with the quality of your reptile shots taken with regular lenses. I've never yet used a tripod in the field but I have used a monopod on the odd occasion. I generally prefer to get down to the subjects eye-level and either take the shot totally hand-held or rest the camera on my camera bag.

I rarely use flash as I prefer to use a small (high) aperture for good DOF and a fast shutter speed to capture the flickering tongue action. Obviously this means using higher ISO settings. I regularly us ISO 1600 which still gives great results on my 40D. Selective noise reduction (using Neat Image software) and sharpening on Photoshop results in sharp, noise-free images.

Jason
tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 6:01pm
Hi NV (or is it LL?).

It's a typo.  I should have said 200mm f4.  But yes, the manual focus version, which you can still buy new.  I don't think AF for macro work would be very helpful.

Cheers,

Tim.

Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 6:17pm
Topic closed on your other post, Nice one Tim ,Lord Lucan,
Paul Hudson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic