the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Method & Management
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Local authorities privatising conservation areas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Local authorities privatising conservation areas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Local authorities privatising conservation areas
    Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 2:59pm
Hi all,

Just heard word that Somerset County Council have proposed to sell parts of the local AONB for private ownership in a bid to pay off debts on a local-level. The Quantock Hills AONB is a fundamental area with which to maintain and enhance biodiversity in the local area [including that of many herp species]. Areas for the proposed sale include areas of lowland heath, that happen to feature as part of a SSSI. As such there is no current sanctions/assurances made by the local authority to ensure that any prospective new land owner will be tasked with further safeguarding the areas in question......an utter joke and perhaps a sign of things to come on a national scale.

Further, it was duly noted that there was very little press involved in making this announcement 'public'. Dare I say that this is a rather underhand tactic on the part of the local authority to make this known just prior to xmas.

Does anyone else have any similar experiences of this? Keep an eye out folks!

Edited by Vanderklam - 21 Dec 2011 at 2:59pm
Kevin Palmer

Lecturer in Animal Management/Course Manager
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 1:03pm
How dare these self appointed public employees sell of our heritage
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by AGILIS AGILIS wrote:

How dare these self appointed public employees sell of our heritage

I don't know what you mean by 'self-appointed' - as in any other Local Authority, Members are elected by public vote, and officers are recruited and appointed through job adverts, interviews etc the same as the rest of us.

In theory, if the land is designated AONB, SSSI, then who owns it should be irrelevant - the same legislation and level of protection applies.

In practice, I'd like to think that your average Local Authority might meets it's responsibilities with respect to these designations more stringently than a private landowner. This might be wishful thinking however, and I can think of a few LA's where I'd be glad if they sold some of their designated land to a wildilfe trust etc so that it could be managed better.
Local Authority Ecologist
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 8:39am
MATT Most people know exactly what I mean ( corrupt councillers paying themselves expenses and salaries out of public funds unchecked,) And public land being sold off that has been donated or paid for by ratepayers over the years,and most of us know it does not end up with the sort of care takers that are environmentally friendly.Examples being parkland and school football fields sold off to developers its happening all the time with them riding roughshod and ignoring the environment & public feelings.

Edited by AGILIS - 31 Dec 2011 at 8:45am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic