the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

less than optimal adder habitat pix.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 2:46pm
I think that is very true, though today we might expect to find adder in Essex on particular substrates including outcrops, on the whole, one can't help asking how they got there in the first place which suggests a much wider range of substrates were used in the past. In Essex at least it is easy to see that clay is associated with arable farming. Largely a case of little or no transitional habitat, it is either a cereal crop or derelict woodland with very little in between in many areas. It's interesting that directly adjacent we have the sea wall, OK an imported substrate but much more importantly in my mind is the miles of open grasslands and no shortage of adder.

It may well be that before the modern mechanisation of farming the working landscape favoured our reptiles and amphibians better than at any time before or after.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 5:01pm
Absolutely Gemma. I was going to say hand-tools, horses and slower ways of doing things.

Suz
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 2:25pm
Thanks for the replies, sorry to hijack yer post (bag Wink) Ben. Unfortunately i'm forced to use the popularity of others' posts to get answers to my questions Cry
Cheers lads and ladettes Thumbs Up
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 9:46am
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

It may well be that before the modern mechanisation of farming the working landscape favoured our reptiles and amphibians better than at any time before or after.

There was some research in the 1980s that concluded that the 1930s were probably the most favourable time ever for the widespread herps. As far as I remember, the main reason was thought to be the large amount of abandoned agricultural land after the depression.
Chris d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 2:25pm
I live near the East Yorkshire wolds (near York) which comprises of very steep V shaped chalk valleys. Apart from an amazing abundance and variety of wild flowers and insects I'm yet to find any reptiles on such a habitat. I have only found them on the nearby lowland heaths. Has anyone any experience of the area or know of studies which confirm adders / herps in the area ?? Where would be the most likely places be to find any on such a habitat ? On the valley tops ? Bottoms ? Around the gorse bushes ? Sheep graze on the valley sides and the bounderies are fencing rather than stone walls.

Chris
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Scale Scale wrote:

Thanks for the replies, sorry to hijack yer post (bag Wink) Ben.

im so glad you did. what an interesting read this thread is!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic