the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

less than optimal adder habitat pix.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: less than optimal adder habitat pix.
    Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 8:46pm
hi folks.

i dont know if this is of interest to anyone but heres some pix of brackenless Stroud Cemetery adder habitat.
in case you havent beeen keeping up, this location is home to adder,grassie,slowie and viv ( + possibly other herps unseen by this reporter)
you can easily track down herp pix via site search.

i hope most will agree that sighting adders in a boneyard is relatively uncommon! if you know otherwise, then post please!

plenty of prime basking sites for ZV huh?

some people think its wrong to "advertise" on the internet where herps are - esp LA and snakes other than grassie.
i dont. got my reasons and wont argue unless provoked.

cheers all, ben
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 9:50pm
Looks like optimal reptile habitat to me.

Adder are found on chalk grasslands and various habitats where no bracken is found. I wouldn't be surprised to find adder at your site. But I would be pleased. I think a model for the wildlife trusts on what happens at a site that isn't over managed. Thumbs Up

Bracken is important to adder on heathland sites for sure. Though I would never think it the only place where I would find them.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 10:01pm
thanks for your expertise Gemma.

i take it that you approve (from the little ive shown) of SDC habitat management practices?

???
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 10:05pm
soil type seems to be important, i.e. free draining. a lot of similar grassland sites around here for have no reptiles there will be numerous reasons but i think heavy clay is mainly to blame.

tim
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 10:27pm
I don't find adder in Essex on clay, LB has plenty of data for Kent that shows adder absent on clay but found on the chalk. Geology can be great for predicting likely adder sites. Even small outcrops of free draining soils surrounded by clay can support them.

Yep ben, I would love to see that sort of habitat far more often. I find more herps on road side verges than I do at many over managed wildlife reserves.
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 11:36am
 Lovely habitat Ben and thanks for the pics.

I should do the same!

I tend not to advertise on the net where i've found reptiles for development sites only.

However, I think it is important to give herps the attention they deserve. I have found that if I am talking to someone and they ask me what I work on and I say reptiles,they immediately think of adders, and then say that adders are bad news. 

So i wouldn't want to argue with you at all Ben.

I would agree that there are more reptiles in unmanaged sites. I've tended to find more reptiles on sites which aren't overly managed by wildlife trusts or a reserve like roadside verges or grasslands which aren't managed as much as a nature reserve grassland might be.

Regarding adders, I've tended to find them in grassland habitat and in areas without bracken. I've also found them in habitats which are covered in bracken (as a young child). However, the soil type is an important factor.

Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 4:39pm
Gemma (or others), do adders avoid clay purely because it is not free draining? Does this affect hibernation solely? Considering adders are not averse to being active in wet or damp habitats why are adders not found on clay during their summer wanderings (in proximity to chalk e.g.), or are they? Surely dry refuge can be found on clay, or can it?

This must say a significant amount about their ecological requirements, as if perhaps our true understanding is limited. As a person who only sees adders on a daytrip basis, I actually find this really fascinating. Or am i being glaringly stupid?

I'd like to know your thoughts since all the literature i've read on the subject seems to just state 'clay averse', without clear reason (aside from its drainage properties). I suppose the animals' hibernation lairs could become swamped during torrential periods of precipitation?

I understand Grass Snakes are sensitive to soil type too but to a lesser extent. I have found hibernation sites that i would call very humid. i.e. on low humps in Sphagnum bogs.

Sorry for all the questions and cheers in advance
Rob
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 7:58pm
Might temperature be a factor? Clay soils are regarded as cold. Having gardened in the same town on light soil and heavy clay, I know which soil is warmer earlier in the year and produces an earlier crop. Clay holds the moisture better but also the slugs!
Suz
B Lewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 9:31pm
In Kent we have a number of factors affecting Adder distribution and the simple anecdote about chalk grassland runs true but then so does land usage and available habitat. By that I mean that Adders are often associated with mature woodlands in the County or at least the interface habitat and pasture/grassland land. I think it probably has a lot more to do with the fragmented way our landscapes are broken up and the availability of prey resources together with proximity to hibernation sites and sheltering habitat etc.. 

The map that shows the Adder on chalk grassland in Kent also mimics some of the best woodland habitat we have in the county and the associated grassland mosaics that follow. I believe they were possibly more widespread in Kent in the past, taking up residence in a much greater diversity of habitats and underlying geological types. 

When we look to Europe we find Adder on a magnitude of different habitats and different substrates so I don't see why they should be so restricted in general. Possibly more about resource availability then we think..?
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 9:09am
Whilst doinIg history research I often come across old diaries and letters that make comments like "Fred Newton killed four adders at...". Knowing the places mentioned I am surprised as many are not what we would consider adder territory today and very likely are not adder territory today. One man told me of an old timer (relative) who regularly used to go out killing adders with a stick and a total of a dozen an outing was not unusual. He was walking along where today you would not find any. The obvious comment is that he killed them all but more likely the habitat has changed.
Knowing these places I have to agree with Brett that in the past a 'much greater diversity of habitats' was used by adders- I am talking about Devon here but I'm sure this applies elsewhere. For my own corner of Devon I can see a much more open landscape in the past. This is a sweeping generalisation but the particular places I read of as having adders are now much overgrown.
The site of the killing of a smooth snake in East Devon in the early 1900s was then a quarrying area with light scrub, now a jungle. Landscapes are always changing and in preserving the countryside you would have to ask at what stage do you want to keep it. In many cases the working landscape of the past was probably more helpful to adders etc. than what we have today (here in East Devon at least). Whilst you might say that conservation grazing on the heaths is going back to practices of the past I really don't know if it's being done in a way it was years ago or if it's beneficial to adders. I've seen plenty of adders and grass snakes this summer but not in grazed areas, so do they cope by moving areas? So going back to Brett, yes substrate is only one factor amongst so many.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic