the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lenses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lenses
    Posted: 23 Jan 2006 at 8:51am
OK, so far I've gotten by (reasonably well) with work-around lenses, using close-up filters for the portrait work etc.

But, the time has come when I must invest in a 'proper' macro lens.

At the moment, I'm dithering between something around a 100mm macro or a 180mm macro. (Using a digital - EOS20D so effectively longer lenses etc.)

Both sizes of Tamron lenses look nice beats, but can anybody advise of an appropriate focal length for herp work ? preferably by somebody who has had experience of both types, but any advice gratefully received!

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2006 at 9:46am
Hi Steve, how are you mate? Keeping well I hope.

I have three macro lens for my 20D , The sigma 50mm,sigma 105mm (for in Situ) and the canon 60mm USM , these are just fine for me. I prefer to work up close and personal with the subject so the 60 and 50 get the most use. Obviously with the 180mm you'll be able to get better in situ pics without getting that close. So if you're going for situ the 180 is what i'd choose.

Edited by Alan Hyde
O-> O+>
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2006 at 4:34am
Steve,

I only have a 100 mm, so no experience of the 180 mm, but here are my thoughts anyway:

For most purposes and as a general macro workhorse, the 100 mm will be better than the 180 mm: Better depth of field, lighter, less camera shake, hence more opportunities for natural light photos.

Exceptions include in-situ macro shots of shy things (but how often do you need to take those? For many in situ shots, an ordinary 200 mm telephoto, perhaps with an extension ring, will do the same job more cheaply), or if you want real close-ups of larger dangerous species (i.e. large exotic venomous snakes).

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
rhysrkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhysrkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2006 at 7:31am
I would agree with Wolfgang. I use the Sigma 105 mm and have a 300 mm tele with a close focus macro feature for more distant work.  The 105 mm is a good weight and as already mentioned is more versatile, providing you dont mind getting a little closer. Its also cheaper...
Rhys
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2006 at 7:33am

Very many thanks for all those thoughts.

I'd pretty much decided on around a 90mm macro, which, with a 2xtelecon would give me some flexibility.

But,...as this year will be all about in-situ, and...erm..I saw a dirt-cheap Tamron SP AF 180mm Di Macro 1:1 lens for sale on the Spanish Ebay site......erm....years of professional objectivity gave way to an impulse buy .

Its just turned up..and its a beauty !  I shall of course report back here on pros & cons once I've had a chance to test it out 'in the field'.

Steve Langham - Chairman    
djp_phillips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp_phillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2006 at 1:10pm
What's the best camera (not too expensive [- 700 pounds]) for
photographing snakes ?
Reptiles & Amphibians of France:
www.herpfrance.com

European Field Herping Community:
www.euroherp.com
lucym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2006 at 6:16pm

hello all,

im relitively new to wildlife photography and would love to get some better close up pics, the info i've read suggests a macro lens. would a macro lens require me to get as close to the subjects (on view in the Adder forum) sugest, or do they have a fair magnification. The adder pics are amazing!

lucym

Edited by lucym
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2006 at 8:01pm

Hi Lucy,

Some info from the Tamron brochure which might help....

1:1 macro is where the object is projected as life-size on the image plane of the camera. This is overkill for most reptile pictures, but to help get an idea....

The Tamron 180mm macro achieves 1:1 at 47cm from camera body

The Tamron 90mm macro achieves 1:1 at 29cm from the camera body

There is far more to it all than just this, but at least it gives you some idea.

Just checking by looking through my 180mm macro, a Vip (common) lizard fills the frame at about 4-5 feet range

Steve Langham - Chairman    
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2006 at 4:39am

Hi Lucy,

My pics of adder have all been with a EFS 18 - 55 mm and you do have to be pretty close to get a good shot.. well practically on the ends of their snouts

I've bought an EFS 60 mm macro which should allow a little more distance.. though will probably just result in me taking extreme close-ups of the heads

Generally I would say you don't need a macro to start taking pictures of native herpetofauna, though you probably will want one in time.

If you really want to keep your distance perhaps you would be better looking at a telephoto lens first?

lucym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2006 at 12:56pm

Thanks Vicar and Gemma,

really appreciate  the time taken to reply, a telephoto lens sounds a really good idea for now untill i'm confident to get a little closer. ps some of the pics are so close you must of felt there breath!!!

Thanks again i'l try and get my pics on when i take them and perhaps you could advise me further when you see them.         & nbsp;    good luck

Lucym

Edited by lucym
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic