the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leg waggling!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leg waggling!
    Posted: 31 May 2008 at 11:19am

Perfect conditions for watching reptiles today. Spent the afternoon watching lizards in the garden and also found a sub-adult grass snake which was nice.

Observed a behaviour for the first time. Only one large female was about and a number of sub-adults and juveniles. 3-4 large males actively seeking mates.

When the males approached the female (who already looks like she might be gravid) and the sub-adults I witnessed a fascinating behaviour. They supported their weight on their bellies and waggled both front legs frantically. This appeared to be a 'I'm not interested go away' message (as opposed to a 'I'm here come and get me'). Just wondered how many others have osbserved this behaviour in Lv or other species.

Tried for ages to get it on film, but as  you can guess all the waggling stopped when I got back outside with the camera.

Tried again to film it no luck, but did find two more grassies, both juveniles from last year (so all that work on the compost heap was worth it!!), silly Youtube vid of one of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgIjjQMiMig

Edited by GemmaJF
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 3:59pm
I guess nobody has seen it then
Huddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 6:55am

Hi Gemma,

The behaviour that you have witnessed in your Common lizards is not unusal . I have seen this sort of thing happen fairly frequently in both wild and captive sand, green lizards . I too would agree that this sort of posturing would indicate a nervous responce from the animal .

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 8:22am
Thanks Huddy, strange it doesn't seem to appear in the literature. Too much recording numbers and not enough observation from fieldworkers I guess
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 9:31am
Hi Gemma,

I agree, I've not seen it in literature, but its quite usual. Pm also do a lot of front leg waving, I've always taken it as a submissive gesture, but it could equally be a b!$$@r off gesture :P
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 2:20pm

enjoyed the video gemma.

grass snakes and common lizards in your garden...you jammy thing!

tim

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 3:22pm

Tim, I think most people would be suprised how tiny the area in our garden actually is, just 4 years ago it was plain lawn with no chance of reptiles living there. 

With a bit of thought like putting in a hibernation bank, log and brash piles, a pond and compost heap and letting nature do the rest with minimal management it was very quickly colonised and the best bit it now supports breeding populations of both common lizard and grass snakes. 

Shows how quickly nature will get the upper hand if pushed in the right direction and is then left to get on with it.

Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 3:59am

I have observed "arm waving" or "waggling" in captive vivipara on a number occasions.  I took it as submission, appeasement or perhaps an indication that a female is not quite receptive.

Great work with your garden Gemma, well done.

Edited by Peter
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 5:51am

I based the 'go away' message mostly on the sub-adults that showed the behaviour.

They were too young I believe to mate though the males would have a go at a neck grab. Once the sub-adults were free they were doing the leg waggling - it is interesting that there are differing interpretations of what it might mean based on direct observations, suggests to me it might be a quite complex behaviour with different signals being passed depending on the circumstances, i.e. receptiveness, age etc, so we might have observed different reactions and different signals being passed by the same behaviour

Oh damn I will have to spend several years trying to film them now in the garden to better understand it all..

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 10:59am
'Foot waving' is mentioned by Colin Simms in his great little book 'Lives of British Lizards' (Goose, 1970); he says it is found in sand and viviparous lizards.   In the case of the latter species he says:

'This is seen very well when Viviparous Lizards greet or acknowledge each other.   The raised-forearm salute is not so exaggerated as when seen from other species, the raised forefoot opening and closing as it rocks about the wrist (carpal) joint.'

He suggests it is found in both sexes as well, but particularly when male lizards avoid a fight, perhaps as a distraction behaviour.   Mind you, he doesn't mention both forefeet being used at the same time !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic