the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Large metamorphs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Large metamorphs
    Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 2:01pm
All of the froglets from my garden pond have been unusually large this year. The one below is possibly the biggest I've ever seen- about 22mm, and still showing signs of the tail bud.

All of the others have been large too- I don't think there's been one below 15mm. Anyone else had particularly large froglets this year?
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 2:58pm
Just the reverse!  very small (looking more like toadlets) and no more than 8mm; I put this down to the cold weather in May/June, but could also be that it's a new pond, with a lack of predators and therefore lots more tadpoles per litre of pond water.  Still plenty left to metamorphose too, and this is in Hertfordshire, so should all be froglets by now.

Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 10:18am
My pond is relatively new as well, but I only had one clump of spawn this year, so they did have a low density. I was wondering whether the cold(er) weather actually encouraged them to stay in the water for longer and get to a bigger size before metamorphosing- this is certainly later than usual up here too.
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 8:51pm

My pond is about 3 years old (and about the size of a puddle lol) and I've just got my first adult frog!!!

Hey, anyone want a tip? Buy some creeping jenny and place it around the pond fringe, my frog seems to love hiding in its strands.

R

RobV
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 9:03pm
Creeping Jenny also provides good cover for emerging froglets from blackbirds etc, (even if it can be quite dominant).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic