the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lakenheath

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lakenheath
    Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 6:56pm
Took a jaunt over to lakenheath today, some nice foresty bits around, plenty of heather etc. But the common lizards are as skittish as hell. Not sure why they would be so flighty, maybe its the ripping noise of the fighter jets above!

undefined
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 6:57pm
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 6:58pm
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 6:59pm
Does anyone know any Adder hot spots over that neck of the woods? There's a lot of country up there and don't want to be walking for hours if in the worng place.

R
RobV
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 6:29pm
Hi Rob your in my neck of the woods yes there are adders on the heather near the base according to friend and just down the road is cavenham heath quite a few there Keith.
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 10:27am

Hi Keith,

thanks for that, I'll try Cavenham Heath. Some bloke walking two jack russells said he'd seen fifteen Adders so far this year just about two hundred yards from the base and that one of the JR's stood on one and gave a yelp. He said the dog didn't swell up or anything, must have just been a scrape!

And to answer another of your points, yes still guppies and silversides etc down Crews Hill Enfield, loads of aquatic centres. I even saw a Lampropeltis zonata zonata for sale the other day, I was sorely tempted, by my shed's roof has caved in and needs loads of TLC before I can think about getting 'tanks' again.

R

RobV
flywaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flywaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 12:03am
Cavenham Heath is not an easy place to search.Took me a couple of years near enough..... Do you mean Lakenheath Warren for Adder or the Northern end on the runway approach? Santon Downham can be excellent for both Adder and Grass Snake. Strange thing is there are a few small Adders with darker markings in one area but there is one snake that is more olive in colour but double the size! Brandon park is meant to be good but ive never seen anything.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic