the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this the first UK reptile sighting of 2013?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this the first UK reptile sighting of 2013?
    Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 4:57pm
I decided to go for a short walk along the sea front in Bournemouth today and quickly found a ladybird and hoverfly. Encouraged by this, and having felt the ground which was warm, I decided to try my luck at the portman zigzag. To my amazement there was indeed a lone but sleepy looking wall lizard out basking at 3-35 pm. I'm still in shock! 
[http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisroughley/8429431751/in/photostream]
Chris
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 10:39pm
Thumbs Up
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 4:45pm
Twelve degrees here in East Devon yesterday and sunny. Saw a small tortoiseshell butterfly winging its way around the gardens.
Lots of questions about early lizzies Chris - how far had it travelled from hibernation spot/did it find food/was it worth getting out of bed?
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 4:50pm
Nice photo of said lizard Chris, and how camouflaged it is.
Suz
liamrussell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liamrussell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 8:14pm
Afraid not, this one beat you to it by 19 days. http://www.ispot.org.uk/node/311690

I think you can see the Podarcis at any time of year if the sun is shining....

Nice bear, I'm assuming that's not from Boscombe? Wink

Edited by liamrussell - 01 Feb 2013 at 12:32pm
ChrisR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 10:30am
There where also hoverflies and ladybirds about, so I guess no problems with food if necessary. I'm not sure it had the energy to eat.  Insects seem to thrive all year round these days in southern england. The Dartford warblers, Chiffchaff and Goldcrests have to be here for something (I saw a DW just before the lizard).
I am reliably informed that the Wall lizards can be seen out in as low as 3 degrees on the cliffs. So an earlier one does not surprise me. 
The Black bear is in Sri lanka, LOTS of herp action there including mating Bengal monitors and Green turtles. What can I say, I'm a summer person! Believe me though, I live in Boscombe, and there are much scarier things there than bears!
Chris
liamrussell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liamrussell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 12:33pm
Just realised I didn't put the link in my first post (have added it now)...

Yes, Boscombe does have some scary wildlife...
Sri Lankan photos look great, love the Russell's viper.
ChrisR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 1:35pm
I would definitely recommend Sri Lanka for a herping holiday for sure. The whole trip cost me less than a grand, real value for money which included 2 safaris in Yala and 2 Whale watching trips which produced 25 Blue whales. 

The Russell's viper was absolutely stunning and really quite calm. Not in the least bit aggressive. I've had more trouble with Adders!

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic