the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Great Crested Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this a GCN?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisLX200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this a GCN?
    Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 9:07pm
Hello. I found this newt in my small ornametal garden pond (10 x 6 x 2.5 feet), it's a poor photo I know - the little critter  would not co-operate having his/her pic taken at the surface so this is shot through about 2-1/2 feet of water. Looking on the web I found a pic of a female GCN which I've inset in my photo, and they look fairly similar to me. I'm aware Great Crested Newts are known to be in my area (within 1 mile) so I guess it possible. It's about 100mm long, very dark upper surface and dark orange belly. The speckles on it's flanks are obvious. Is it possible to positively identify it from this admittedly poor picture?

Thanks, Chris.

Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 9:24pm
Looks like a GCN to me.  The strongest indication through the murky water is the "stripey" toes.
BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 9:36pm
I would go as far as saying probably a male looking at the white flash on the tail.
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
ChrisLX200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisLX200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 10:08pm
OK thanks! I was surprised to see it as the pond isn't very big and was only established around 6 months ago. It's well planted though and I have a shallow bog plant area next to it. Doesn't take long for new residents to move in apparently.  There may be more, I'll have to look more closely. I didn't want to try netting it to get a better pic (be difficult anyway with all the nooks and crannies + plants).
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 10:22pm
Don't forget to submit your record to your local recorder

If you don't know who it is you could also submit it through the
RAUK online form.
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic