the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is the Common Lizard thriving?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Inns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the Common Lizard thriving?
    Posted: 01 Apr 2003 at 9:08pm

I have a big concern that the Common Lizard is in a rapid decline.  Many of the populations I and other herpetologists have known for 20 years plus are nothing like they were.

Does anybody know of any sites where they have noted a population increase?

Howard
test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2003 at 12:41am

I have observed a site in Surrey, part of a large heathland. The actual spot is in a valley floor and wooded. 20 years ago Common Lizards were very plentiful around a large pond and amongst tussocks of an adjacent west facing inclined and un-shaded meadow. Last year I sighted only a single male. Habitat changes have mostly been bracken growth around the pond and some infilling with birch, the meadow has however changed little in the past 20 years to explain the reduction in the population. The local Adder population appears to have declined also, Grass Snake and Slow-worm numbers have remained steady.

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2003 at 10:07pm
Howard, I have a population that has formed over the last 30 years at a brown field site that appears to be very extensive and thriving, email if you want the details.

Edited by administrator
Herpetologic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herpetologic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2003 at 10:37am

I am currently working on a undisturbed grassland site roughly 105 metres long by 70 metres wide which ahs a really good population of Viviparous Lizards unfortuantely the site is going to be developed.

I estimate that around 500 to 600 lizards may be on the site we have translocated around 230 so far to patch of good land on a golf course with a new hibernaculum and we will be managing the population and of course monitoring the site over the next 3 to 5 years. The site has been left untouched for about 40 years!!!

The management of land for nature conservation (mowing or heavy grazing) has a detrimental effect on reptiles especially viviparous lizards

I am currently surveying a Hampshire Wildlife Trust Nature reserve which has good populations of V lizards, Slowworms, Adders and Grass snakes within clumps of Molina, and bramble bushes i am hopefully going to influence the management of the grazing regime to help the reptiles i will keep you informed of any success

There have been declines of V Lizards in Essex which is worrying as these sites are no tover managed?

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2003 at 10:48am
The description of undisturbed grassland is similar to the site I referred to. Unfortunately it also has the shadow of development looming. Would you associate declines in Essex with farming methods Jon? I would have thought a general loss of insect numbers would have a huge impact, I would note that the sites where I see reptile populations thrive are often remote from pesticides/herbicides due to topography.

Edited by administrator
Herpetologic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herpetologic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2003 at 11:23pm

Yes this seems to be the case. An example of a really good reptile habitat in Essex is the Langdon Hills. This part of basildon hasnt really seen agriculture changes like the rest of Essex.

good populations of all four species of reptile occur in the nature conservation areas in Langdon Hills. Other parts have been turned into housing estates or have been turned to some form of agriculture or very heavy horse grazing.

Of course other sites in Essex which are very good inect sites and contain good populations of lizards are the derelict brownfield sites such as Northwick Road in Canvey and Shell Haven across the water etc.

What colour varieties of Viviparous Lizard have people seen? we have several Green lizard sightings that I suspect were actually green Viviparous Lizards - I have seen green, orange and very dark brown lizards (adults) has there been any albino or other colours in Lizards?

j gaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j gaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2003 at 2:01am
Two Surrey sites, known to each have a high LV population 35+ yrs. ago, echo some of the above views :
(1) small, isolated heath-outcrop in chalk woodland nr. Chilworth. Still supports a thriveing colony with AF (recent decline) & NN (occasional). Undisturbed except for recent 'well-meaning' habitat management.
(2) long roadverge with small-scale hedgerow bordering agri. fields nr. Godstone. No lizards (1989). Vegetation reduced with sparser base, prob. 'herbicide sprayed' on both sides.

After the recent BHS 'Snakes' meeting, John Pickett informed me of the sad, recent crashes in the reptiles on the open 'plains' of Epping Forest, Essex, due to vegetation damage / grazing pressure. At one site ( _where i caught my first adder), LV are in any numbers around the margins of a small pond which is 'fenced off'.

Jon, your ref. to 'good insect (brown) sites' holds true for an unique colony of Dorset Sand Lizards, which here are exceptionally high in numbers & body size, prob. the biggest and not a sprig of heather in sight.

On Viv. colouration, i've had 'bright' green (Dartmoor, 1977), a 'uniform' sandy brown and 'melanic' (black) examples from Frensham, Hankley & nr. Dorking.They also occured at that Godstone site.

John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic