the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intelligence of smooth snakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longcrippler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intelligence of smooth snakes
    Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 12:01pm
According to Collins Field Guide to the Reptiles and Amphibians of Europe, smoothies are "Said to be intelligent (for a snake!)". Does anybody know what possible basis there might be for this assertion?
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 4:52pm
I think it's pretty much based on captive animals such as those kept in the 19th century by the French herpetologist Rollinat.  It seems to be based on their ability to be tamed easily and to recognise that prey is on its way when the lid of the cage is opened etc which doesn't necessarily seem to be the most objective way to define 'intelligence' of a snake to me.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 7:06am
I spose I would class CA as intelligent. If I had spotted one reading a book whilst basking. In reality I think their a bit slow when it comes to making a quick get away from the likes of us as most snakes hop it as soon as they get wind of any disturbance , but the smoothies seem to brazen it without attempting to flee that could be their downfall to predators. Keith

Edited by AGILIS - 05 Sep 2011 at 11:33am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 10:47am
My dog salivates to the sound of his dinner bowl being clanged and he's thick as f*!k.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic