the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Reporting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hybrid Palmate/Smooth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hybrid Palmate/Smooth
    Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 11:33am
I was recently asked to photograph a Hybrid newt captured during routine crested newt surveys at the Durrell Institute of Conservation & Ecology, University of Kent. The newt was captured, 7th/8th June 2012, in a bottle trap in one of the Farmland ponds which forms part of a long-term monitoring project, led by Professor Richard Griffiths and a team of volunteer surveyors. 

The general features of the hybrid newt include those shared by L. helveticus, a dorsolateral ridge, small tail filament, partly-webbed hind feet, double row of spots on tail, eyestripe and marbling on the head. Also features shared with L. vulgaris, a spotted throat, large spots on belly and flanks, crest continuous with tail, orange belly, lacking hind foot spurs. These are all features that were observed by Griffiths et al. in a paper published in the Journal of Zoology (1987). The paper was titled - A natural hybrid newt, Triturus helveticus x T. vulgaris, from a pond in mid-Wales. 

These newts are observed infrequently and are seldom recorded, however I have been corresponding with several colleagues who have also shared their encounters including a recent capture by Paul Hudson (Penrith, Cumbria). 

I would be interested to hear of others who have encountered these hybrids and indeed any images you might have. 

Here is the newt - 

liamrussell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liamrussell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 11:52am
I found one in Hampshire a couple of years ago

Edited by liamrussell - 12 Jun 2012 at 11:56am
B Lewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 12:01pm
That's great - please feel free to PM me with any dates and locations (Grid ref).. Might be worth compiling for a short publication..? If you're not sure of exact date, I suspect it's attached to the photos somewhere.

Kind regards,

Brett 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liamrussell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 12:03pm
Yes, I've been wondering about a publication for a while. I know that Brian Banks has found a couple in Sussex.

I've seen photos of Paul's and his is quite different. Maybe he'll post them?

Come on Paul!

Edited by liamrussell - 12 Jun 2012 at 12:04pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liamrussell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 12:16pm
Paul asked me to post a couple of pictures of his, maybe he can fill us in on the details.

B Lewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 12:24pm
Thank you and yes any extra details would be most helpful. Thumbs Up
Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 1:49pm
The smooth/palmate hybid that I found here in the garden pond ,returned each year for 7 or 8 Springs .I never saw it displaying to a female during my many torching sessions of the pond ,often there were females in close proximity to it but they were always ignorned . Maybe it didn't look and smell right to the females or it somehow lacked the urge.I'm fairly sure I saw another Hybrid one night whilst torching a large stocked fish pond near to Kendal .Unfortunatly that one slipped the net .Perhaps there are plenty more out there and some folk would not be able to I.D them.

Edited by Paul Hudson - 15 Jun 2012 at 1:50pm
Paul Hudson
B Lewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 7:33pm
Thanks Paul and yes I'm sure that is right! 
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 9:57pm

ed

Edited by sussexecology - 03 Aug 2012 at 7:18pm
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 11:24am
How common do people think this is? As common as the two co-habiting or are there any known limiting factors? I have to say i don't tend to examine male Palmates in that much detail but will keep my eyes open from now on.
Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic