the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I know if my axolotl is pregnant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexwilki2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I know if my axolotl is pregnant
    Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 5:50pm
I have two axolotls one leucistic who I think Is a male because of two bumps behind rear legs and one wild type who I think is a female she has got very fat basically in the space of a couple of day there about 8 and a half months old now jw how do I know if she could be pregnant thanx
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 6:08pm
It can't be 'pregnant', but it might be gravid with eggs! I think they produce them around this time of year any way once sexually mature, but if it is a male and female you have together, they could be fertile eggs. You'll just have wait and see.

I do remember a while back reading that they can eat any eggs laid, not sure if you would want to take some action to prevent that possibility. Good luck with it and let us know if you end up with baby axolotls.
Alexwilki2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexwilki2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 6:13pm
Thank you I will let you know if we get any
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 2:45pm
Many years ago I bred a few axolotls.   Breeding seemed to be dependent upon a slight temperature change, and it didn`t seem to matter which way either.  Fertilization is external.  Good luck

BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Fertilization is external.

Fertilization is internal in axolotls- the female picks up a spermatophore, same as in all but the most primitive salamanders.

I'd recommend http://axolotl.org for information on pet axolotls. 
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 12:56pm
Exactly what I meant, the female picks up the spermataphore which is deposited externally, just like the newts, which is then absorbed. :)

BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic