the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I care for these newts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 5:32pm
I used to keep them, don't really see much wrong with it other than I would now let them go after a year max and having kept several native species of reptile and amphibian in the past I now know there are better vivarium species. Easy to say though when I have several of the more common species living in the garden these days so for most months of the year I only have to go outside to see them. I still remember 'Nigel' and 'Nellie' my two smooth newts I caught at a local pond very well, look where they led me.  Smile
kit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 5:14pm
they are nice pets but keeping them in a garden pond would be better :) also buy a mixed pack of frozen fish food from a pet shop so they have a more varied diet
kit
MrYossu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrYossu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 5:30pm
Well, since posting, I have tried them on mysis again, and they scoffed it down like it was a delicacy! Last time I tried they turned their noses up at me!

We keep cichlids (in a separate tank I should point out!), which is why we have these frozen bugs. I may go and buy a wider selection. The cichlids will eat anything the newts don't want.

As for the pond, we don't have one, and couldn't. Even if it were practical, it would be dangerous with all the small children around here. I know we shouldn't really keep them in a tank, but they are really interesting pets.

Thanks for the reply.
kit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 2:43pm
about a pond what about a sunken barrel pond looks amazing and is too small to be a danger :)
kit
kit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 2:44pm
kit
MrYossu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrYossu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 1:40pm
Wow, great link! thanks a lot for that, you've given me the itch to start building!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic