the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hole

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hole
    Posted: 11 Sep 2004 at 5:30pm

Ok, this one may have nothing to do with Herps at all.

Series of holes across Frensham Common, not clustered but widely (10m+) and irregularly spaced. I'd not noticed them before, but that may be just me being unobservant !

Any clues ??

Holes about the diameter of my index finger, seem to be too big for insects, (certainally way too big for solitary wasps etc) and too small for rodents - frankly I'm baffled!

Edited by Vicar
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2004 at 12:20pm

crikey Vic, I hope I'm wrong but that looks very similar to a funnel web spider entrance (sometimes they seem to do without the sweb for a while). Of course they are only supposed to be in Australia but i wouldn't like to put my finger in there and find out...I've seen those things bite into a stick and be lifeted out of the hole by their jaws! good luck.

RobV
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2004 at 7:47pm
I did think of that David !...only trouble is..I've seen no Scarabae or the like on Frensham yet !, although they are quite common at Hankley, just down the road. Best I keep my eyes peeled
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic