the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hibernating Lizards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hibernating Lizards
    Posted: 16 Feb 2006 at 12:45pm

I've heard a few reports of the first lizards being spotted this season, including the one from Woodlouse on the forums.

Today went to a private reserve in Essex to reset refugia for a spring survey when the sun broke after heavy rain. We had left a pile of five tins and felts on the bank of a pond for deployment in a previously inaccessible part of the reserve this spring. We didn't expect to see any herps but..

on lifting the five felts, this is what we found:

Those with eagle eyes will spot the second group hiding in the grass to the right of the picture above. I carefully moved some of the grass to reveal the second group as pictured below:

We counted 4 adults and 15 sub-adults, there were more but we didn't want to disturb them any more than we already had.

Needless to say we replaced the pile of felts carefully and checked all the lizards were snuggled up comfortably before we moved on.

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2006 at 1:26pm

Fantastic Gemma

I am writing an article for the Essex Field Club - would be okay to mention the lizards and of course the first adder sighting of the year on valentines day?

Lets hope that some of our zig zag marked friends are at this private reserve eh

Jon

Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2006 at 1:26pm

PS - please send in the record for the EARG database

Cheers

JC

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2006 at 1:52pm
Gemma

These pictures really made me smile , thank you
O-> O+>
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2006 at 1:56pm

Please do mention the sightings in the article Jon.

Hopefully I'll be able to confirm presence of the zig zag ones at the reserve within the next couple of weeks if the weather improves ...rain, rain, rain, rain.. wind, rain rain

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2006 at 2:01pm

Hi Al, you must have been typing at the same time as me, I was totally amazed when I first realised what I was looking at

Jon, regarding the record, I'll pass a copy of the full survey report to the EARG. I'm hoping we may be able to get this site for longterm study if adder are present.

Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2006 at 2:07pm

Great

We have several study sites coming on line in Essex - including some country parks and a few private sites - Peldon and Maydays Fm on Mersea Island.

Jc

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic