the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Herp webcams???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 1:23pm
Cheers Mark, that will give me something to look at whilst waiting for an improvement in the weather, strong winds and rain here..... .....again.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 8:20am
Garden is drying out so hoping to get the lizard herpcam up and running very soon.

I've had another idea that I'll throw open for opinions. I have been thinking of a newt cam. I don't think it is practical to set this up outside in my own situation. In the past I have taken a pair of smooth newts early season. Watched their activities in an aquarium then released them after egg laying. To then watch the developing young.

I was wondering what people thought about me doing this again and streaming the images to the web. The animals will at no time be more than 40 ft away from their native pond. The adults will be in captivity for a relatively short period (though we should see some courtship and egg laying) the young will be released back into the garden after metamorphosis.

I'm thinking the educational benefits, potential promotion of the forum and just general interest of the project might outweigh any negatives of the idea.

But I would invite forum members to comment as I don't want to do something if it offends or has pitfalls I'm not considering. 

Edited by GemmaJF - 09 Mar 2014 at 8:32am
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 4:46pm
I think it's fine in principle, a pair in a decently set up tank would start courting and egg laying in a few hours; give them some Daphnia and they'll turn cartwheels for you!
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 6:32pm
no worries from here
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 12:11am
Admittedly, the audience was considerably smaller (IE me) when i used to watch native species breeding taking place on my 'aquarium TV' as a youngster, but theres no doubt that enjoying the 'ballet' etc, close up and convenient, really accelerated my interest in UK herps.

So for that reason, personally, i think its a good idea - and i'd be a hypocrite if i didn't!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 6:52pm
Thanks guys, probably be a project for next year, see how the lizard cam goes and if it's popular.

Just splashed out on one of these as suggested by Mark earlier:

Not sure it will work very close up like a web cam, but it's part of the Cat War to monitor the deterrents, if they prove to work, I'll try it as another herpcam!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 4:57pm
Update on the herp webcam idea, it's been very delayed due to all the work in the wildlife garden but technically it could have been up and running months ago.

Today (in the pouring rain) I finally set-up the first herp cam. It is not currently streaming to the web but I thought it worth sharing a still picture taken with it to show the quality. 

When something interesting happens I'll post up a video capture. I'll probably move it to give a more top down view of the top tyre but I had to finally give in and take cover when then thunder and lighting started Shocked

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 12:32pm
Changed the view this morning by fitting the camera to a short post:

Obligingly within minutes the first two lizards arrived:

Still room for some tweaking but functional enough Smile Problems at the moment are that most of the activity happens furthest from the camera and also that the camera and post shadow appears in the image as the sun moves round. So will probably move the post around to the other side of the tyre.

The plan is to be live streaming to the internet next spring with this camera and perhaps others too.

superdart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superdart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 4:09pm
If anyone wants an aquarium for newt breeding,egg hatching and rearing, or whatever I can donate one FOC,collection only.I have spare 2' and 3' all glass tanks if wanted.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 4:15pm
Where are you (PM if you want)? I might be interested as discussed above.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic