the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help!
    Posted: 30 Jun 2003 at 1:42pm

Could someone please give me advice on the following: yesterday (Sunday 29/6/03), I saw what looked like a male sand lizard on a beach on the island of Cumbrae just off the west coast of Scotland. It was green in colour, with similar markings to photographs I have seen and 15 cms long. The only doubt I had was that the shape of the head looked more like a common lizard. I thought the furthest north the sand lizard could be found was near Blackpool. Is it possible that this was a sand lizard? Thanks

(just incase, welcome to RAUK Bill)

Edited by administrator
Bill
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2003 at 2:24pm
Hi Bill,
There was a single introduction of Sand Lizards to the Hebridean island of Coll back in the eraly 80's which is reportedly still survivng. I don't think there were any other island introductions but there may have been. Likewise I don't know if the historic range of this lizard would have included that locality.It is certainly a possibility though. In my experience the male common lizards found in coastal dunes in Lincolnshire can display strong green colouration so this could be likely as well. The relative size and shape of the head is probably the most obvious diagnostic feature and this would therefor suggest common lizard but it's well worth persuing further if your not sure.

So, in short, they're not supposed to live there but they certainly could. Nice find either way. Hopefully someone else on these forums will have a better insight into this.

Cheers, Lee.
Lee Fairclough
BillC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2003 at 9:15pm

Thanks for all your help. This lizard was a bright green colour from all angles and in and out of the shade. I will return to the same spot tomorrow with a digital camera and will attempt to get a close up photograph. I do not hold out much hope as my family and I have been visiting this particular spot for 40 years without ever seeing a lizard! If I do obtain a photograph I will attempt to post it on here and also take it to the Marine & Biological station.

Cheers,

Bill.

Bill
j gaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j gaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2003 at 11:28pm
hello bill

just to let you know, only once have i found bright, 'sand lizard-like' green viviparious lizards; this was in a grazed field with scattered gorse & granite boulders beside the fast-flowing river dart in 'dartmoor national park' and we were camping there with our school team for the 'ten tors' walking competition in 1977; another nice field observation was migrating common toads, some in amplexus, crossing the same field to spawn in the relative quite of deep, boulder pools along the rivers banks _i look forward to checking out this old site again

as for 'coll', lee and david,

one of our 'trustees' checks this remote site every 5 years and reports a small but stable population holding its own; his last visit recorded a range expansion, breaking away from the main foci so the inner hebridian sand lizard is on the move

john
Chris G-O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris G-O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2003 at 11:37am
It wouldn't be impossible for someone to have released sand lizards on Cumbrae, but i suspect like the others, that you saw a green common lizard. Size would be the absolute giveaway if you found an adult sand lizard with total length of 7 inches/18cm or more. And the bolder markings: large light blobs with dark centres. The habitat would need to be marram dunes for sand lizard too - very unlikely you'd get sand lizards that far north in any other habitat. Common lizards on the other hand inhabit a variety of grassy, herbaceous & scrub edge habitats. Green common lizards are not uncommon, but they're usually dark green. As a result, it's one of the most common enquiries we get in the HCT office: "i think i've seen a sand lizard". If it's W. Yorkshire we're pretty certain it's not sand lizard, but if for example it's a Welsh coastal dune location then it does make us wonder. I'd still encourage people to submit records like this - you never know - but it's difficult to do anything without a photograph (and description of habitat).

cheers,
Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic