the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help please Will

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help please Will
    Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 3:41pm
Hey Will, my girlfriend's kitchen seems to be very attractive to winged invertebrates lately, for some reason

Can you ID any of these please? Am I right in thinking the first is a Southern Hawker (?):

any ideas for the moths please?

thanks, Ben
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 6:56pm
Hi Ben

sounds like a nice kitchen!  it looks like a southern hawker to me; I was at the London Wetland Centre yesterday and took a photo of this female egg laying.  I never realised how spiky the 'can-opener' ovipositor is - perhaps that's why they were known as 'horse stingers' in olden times?

I'm useless on moths, apart from hawk moths I am in the dark with them, as it were - sorry about that!

natrix5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natrix5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 7:18pm
Hi Liz

Yes first is Southern Hawker followed by a Migrant Hawker.

Your moths are Swallow-tailed Moth followed by Small Scallop.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 11:52pm
Swallowtail moth?
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 7:59am
Just an admin post to state that natrix5's post was not visible until I approved this morning, so Suzy would not have seen it when she posted.

Also, Ben, please clean your nails, they are worse than my husbands! LOL

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 10:06am
Nice one natrix5, thanks for adding to my inadequate answerSmile!
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 9:35pm
Thanks Will, Suzy and Natrix for the IDs, although the 1st 2 pics are of the same dragonfly.

It seems as soon as i clean my nails they get dirty again. That's what you get for constantly grubbing out wildlife in the mud.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 9:47pm
I'll stick with southern hawker, then - immature male.  But I could well be wrong, Ben!
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 7:18pm
Yep, a Swallowtail moth, there's other moths that have the same common name as Butterflies, Brimstone is one.   I have my mothbox out tonight, it will be interesting what turns up.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 4:27pm
Thanks!

Seems the invertebrates continue to find my girlfriend's place a magnet. This magnificent (and surprisingly feisty!) larva was inching it's way across the drive today:

Elephant Hawk Moth Deilephila elpenor right guys??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic