the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help please Ben!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 5:35pm
I went to a local 'brownfield' site with a good common lizard population today; as it turned out, it was too cold for lizards but I was pleased to see what I think are three species of orchid - namely bee, common spotted and pyramidal - please let me know if I am right, Ben, or am I barking up the wrong orchid??

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 5:36pm
(common spotted being the last one in the series)
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 6:45pm
Hi folks,

sorry for taking so long to get back to you! I've not been home much lately, so no internet.

Hi Suz, i'm not sure what 'wild orchid' you've received and it's hard to see much detail from your image, but if i assume (always dangerous i know!) that it is a UK native species local to your area, and taking note of the fact that this is an orchid with dense purple inflorescences that likes it rich, Southern Marsh Orchid Dactylorhiza praetermissa suggests itself. However, another possibility might be Early Marsh Orchid Dactylorhiza incarnata subspecies pulchella. Just to embuggerate things further, the two can hybridise.

Will, similarly with your 'Common Spotted'. They are very variable and hard to be sure from your pic (eg no shot of leaves) but D fuchsii is very common and looks likely.

On a more definite note, the other two you posted are very distinctive and yes, agree, are Bee Orchid/Pyramidal. Nice pics.

Not an orchid but here's a beautiful and impressive plant i encounter just now and then and i'm always thrilled when i do. From the Potato family:

Deadly Nightshade Atropa belladonna
Deadly poisonous!!!!

cheers
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 7:41pm
thanks BenThumbs Up - I should have snapped a photo of the leaves, too - elementary non-botanist's mistake!  Love that word 'embuggerate', too!
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 4:05pm
Hi Ben,

here's another to follow on to Will's post...

This last Monday - is this early?

Cheers

RobV
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 5:00pm
Hi Rob

I've seen quite a few Stink horns (and a few other common fungi species like Sulphur Tuft and Boletus) springing up over the past few weeks. They are about!

Here's a shot of the early and harder to spot (said to be edible but i haven't tried it) 'egg' phase of Stink horn.
Not in situ:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic