the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hatchling from second clutch?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hatchling from second clutch?
    Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 12:10pm
bad pic, but this hatchling was only around 4cm and looked absolutely freshly hatched (Purbeck, 1st Oct).  I reckon this could be one from a second clutch of eggs (bearing in mind that females were ready to lay first clutch at end of April this year, due to the hot spring...) - any thoughts?

Cheers

Will

Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 3:18pm
Hi will,Could be a hatchling from a second clutch ,but hard to prove ,I find that sometimes females laying for the first time, (newly matured) ,can lay their first clutch in July,  based on my observations,in the wild on Merseyside.I have seen really small but mature females heavily gravid up to the 3rd week of July.

Edited by Paul Hudson - 02 Oct 2011 at 3:19pm
Paul Hudson
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 4:15pm
Hi Paul - hadn't thought of that possibility, thanks.  Whatever the reason, it was tiny - hope it makes it through the winter, but I have my doubts.
Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 4:35pm
Every Spring I see juvenile sand lizards that have made it through their first Winter and in quite a number of cases they are tiny, skinny looking but they have made it! ,In some cases these small juvs look like they havn't grown since birth.

Edited by Paul Hudson - 02 Oct 2011 at 7:39pm
Paul Hudson
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 4:45pm
Will at least the weather has been herp friendly & its nice to see we are getting some good weather for the new reps to get them selves prepared with a bit more time to fatten up for the coming winter keith

Edited by AGILIS - 02 Oct 2011 at 4:46pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
liamrussell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liamrussell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 1:23pm
It was a very early start in Dorset this year with many females excavating nests in the second week of May. I didn't manage to get down after the end of May but I know that lots of lizards were observed digging in July so maybe a significant proportion did double clutch this year. As to the success rate with the less than amazing summer weather... Who knows...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic