the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greenest Government Ever!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greenest Government Ever!!
    Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 11:25pm
Well now we know the reason for the economic mess the country is in, it's that bloody wildlife getting in the way of development.

You probably know that Osborne has announced some significant initiatives in his Autumn Statement today so that infrastructure projects can help boost the economy.  A number of these relate to removing barriers and costs to business to enable the infrastructure projects to go ahead.  To give you the flavour of the thinking, here is the relevant extract of Osborne's speech:

"It is a reminder to us all that we shouldn't price British business out of the world economy. If we burden them with endless social and environmental goals - however worthy in their own right - then not only will we not achieve those goals, but the businesses will fail, jobs will be lost, and our country will be poorer.

Our planning reforms strike the right balance between protecting our countryside while permitting economic development that creates jobs.  But we need to go further to remove the lengthy delays and high costs of the current system, with new time limits on applications and new responsibilities for statutory consultees.  And we will make sure that gold plating of EU rules on things like Habitats aren't placing ridiculous costs on British businesses."

He has therefore announced a review of the implementation of the Habitats and Birds Directives:

"The Government will ensure that compliance with the Habitats and Wild Birds Directives does not lead to uneccessary costs and delays to development, while continuing to support the Directives' objectives. The Government is reviewing the directives as currently implemented in England by Budget 2012 and is committed to tackling blockages for developments where compliance is particularly complex or has large impacts.  In addition, the Government can announce progress on specific projects where compliance has already proved problematic, including Falmouth Harbour."

Extract from the Wildlife Trusts press statement issued this afternoon:

The Wildlife Trusts today voice exasperation at George Osborne's Autumn budget statement which includes plans to review the rules which protect some of the most important wildlife sites in England.

It seems that the Chancellor is not content with the massive shake-up of the planning system that is already under way, and which initially failed to recognise Local Wildlife Sites.  Now sites and species of European importance face an uncertain future in England.  When will the Government recognise that our natural resources are finite?”  asked The Wildlife Trusts’ Chief Executive Stephanie Hilborne OBE.

The Government’s own National Ecosystem Assessment and Natural Environment White Paper, both published in June this year, promised us much more than this.  They were to herald a step change in nature’s fortunes.  And Special Areas of Conservation (SACs) and Special Protection Areas (SPAs) are a key part of the foundation upon which nature’s recovery across England will depend.   Yet taking England’s much depleted wildlife into a more positive future is clearly far from the Chancellor’s agenda. 

Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 8:40am
THe only thing green about them is their failure to get to grips with the Britsh publics resentment who have been betrayed by keeping us in europes dictates without a referendum and what the outcome will be for traitors in the future. keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 10:31am
They can have a review of the implementation of the Habitats Directive I think that they will find that they have to carry on as they are considering the rulings against the UK government and the current court case in the EU which means that the licensing regime has become much stricter

There are good cases to reform when the licensing restrictions are justified - that is normally in big developments but when it comes down to very small development which has no impact on EPS species there needs to be flexibility.

The delays though come from the interpretation of the legislation and when people do not follow the rules - a recent example would be the Dale farm residents who failed to submit ecological information on great crested newts as part of their planning application - hence the refusal and now they are appealing this decision.....

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 10:33am
Just noticed your comment Keith - I take it you do not like being in the EU then? effectively for the UK to avoid implementing the EU directives would be to pull out of Europe.....

I am sure it is not as simple as that though

Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 10:34am
The irony is that the conservatives are going towards conservation credits and biodiversity offsetting which is very expensive......ah but of course you can throw money at that to avoid delays to ripping through the SSSI, SPA, SAC etc

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 5:43pm
I have to say in my own experience delays are very often caused by the developer. If they acted early with regards to survey etc much of the delay would be totally unnecessary. In may cases particularly for large developments it is a case that they almost seem to hope the ecological issues will evaporate - but for sure they were aware that they existed several years in advance.

We simply need a shake-up on how it is viewed. From large to small most developers view protecting the environment as at the very least an unwelcome cost and preferably something to be side-stepped. In the current economic situation I would actually argue that the smart developer would get their house in order and address these issues early on to step head and shoulders above the rest - I wonder if any are smart enough to realise this??

I agree at times the licensing system can seem rather slow, but then again so is the planning system in general. Plenty of time to get surveys done on most projects. But alas generally it is left to a last minute rush and the ecologist gets the 'blame' for delaying the project. (not forgetting of course the rubbish low quote consultant who actually adds to the delays by adding total incompetence to the mix!!)

Edited by GemmaJF - 30 Nov 2011 at 5:44pm
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 6:57pm
Don't know if anyone saw the show but David Cameron was on Countryfile last week (and previous week) talking about the environment and farming. He made some promises about safeguarding the environment from future major developments, but find it strange that a few days later the government announced the new high speed railway.
Seriously, does anyone think this will be economical for another high speed rail route that nobody will use. I can't understand it myself but they are at least "mitigating" some impacts by tunnelling the route - but this is apparently not the whole route.

No I don't think are or will be the greenest government ever because they want to change the planning system. Great for the economy, but not for the wildlife - and build new high speed rail links. Don't get me wrong, I will use the Ashford high speed line when I need to (as do some of our other team members), but the tickets are just way too expensive.

Personally, I'll believe that we have the greenest government when I see it.

Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 10:34pm
And of course today they seem to be supporting Boris's proposal to build a major international airport in the Thames estuary, which with its associated infrastructure will destroy a major wildlife area of international importance.
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 6:36pm
Plus this new railway line they also want to build is only so that developers can build all around it and destroy our countryside Grrrrrrrr keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 11:12pm
An airport in an estuary is the most bizarre idea.  More like a sinking airport.

Does Boris seriously think that he could get this off the ground.  No thought not.

Maybe Boris should listen to a Take That song called The Flood, LOL 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic