the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Green Common Lizards!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robpilley2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Green Common Lizards!
    Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 11:55am

Hi all,

over the weekend I wandered some heathland near me in the Mendip hills and saw several of the elusive green-coloured Common Lizards.

Of ten or so Commons I saw in about an hour, at least three of them were green and were breeding males. They really do look like little green or sand lizards as they race through the dry yellow grass, im not surprised people mistake them for greens or agilis.

Have a look at the pics,

Rob

PS i also saw a huge male black adder, stunning beast!

Robpilley2007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robpilley2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 11:56am
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 12:49pm
HI Rob and welcome !

He's a beautiful lizard, stunning colouration.

A couple of guys from the forum also frequent the Mendips, although its been many years since I last visited the area personally.
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Jimpklop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimpklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 2:13pm
Hi Rob,

Nice pictures, nice find too.

Never seen that colouration before, looks really nice.

James
Im Craving Adder's(www.jimpklop.moonfruit.com)
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 4:12pm

I bet it looked better in the flesh as it were - I often see lizards with a slight hue of green in their scales but not as much as your lizards.

I have only seen one picture of a green viv lizard where it is really really green I mean vivid and that is a photo taken by Slippery42.....

I have seen 'orange' lizards in kent - no camera though

Jon

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
John Newton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Newton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 1:24am

Hi Rob

Keep a watch on these lizards. From my wn experience, these green/vivid blue males appear to be a transient phenomenon, immediately following the first skin shed. There are a couple of Merseyside sites, shared with La, where I've been convinced I was looking at Pm bruggemani animals, absolutely. Similarly blue animals are also seen on some of the moors to the west of Sheffield. Elsewhere, Derbyshire females occasionally have impressively green flanks which are a permanent feature, visible all the year round. 

John Newton

South Yorkshire ARG
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 2:06am
hi Rob real green one you got there congratulations dont often see them like this ,dont think theres been a rampant wall liz interfering with any of their  fems do you   keith 
Huddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2007 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Robpilley2007 Robpilley2007 wrote:

Hi all,

over the weekend I wandered some heathland near me in the Mendip hills and saw several of the elusive green-coloured Common Lizards.

Of ten or so Commons I saw in about an hour, at least three of them were green and were breeding males. They really do look like little green or sand lizards as they race through the dry yellow grass, im not surprised people mistake them for greens or agilis.

Have a look at the pics,

Rob

PS i also saw a huge male black adder, stunning beast!

Huddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2007 at 4:39pm

Hi All and Rob

My name is Paul Hudson im new to this forum but not new to Herpetology, good photos of Common Lizard , i to have seen them that colour before in Cumbria

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2007 at 4:39pm
Lovely pix. I too have seen green ones that colour here in East Devon but also a bright coppery green one that was really startlingly bright. There is a pic of it somewhere on these forums but the lizard is rather curled up. The brightness of my coppery one did not translate so well in the picture.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic