the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grass Snake with prolapsed cloaca

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grass Snake with prolapsed cloaca
    Posted: 09 May 2004 at 5:13pm
Found a grass snake with prolapsed cloaca last weekend . Will post pics as soon as pic posting is allowed again.
The snake appeared healthy in all other ways , though slightly thin.
Alan
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2004 at 6:11pm
hi Al, if you want to send the picture to me I can still  host it on RAUK, it does seem that the upload facility is the reasong for RAUK using loads of bandwidth, so not sure when it will be allowed again :0(
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2004 at 6:26pm
Hi Gemma :¼)

Ok, I'll sort out the picture and send it to you in an Email.

Speak soon,
Al
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2004 at 7:17pm

Al's pics

Al, is that not an inverted male bit rather than the cloaca prolapsed??

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2004 at 7:21pm
PS lovely looking snake, I found a whopper the other day reasonably unexpectately at a woodland margin, due to a navigation error (Merv says it was my fault, I have a different opinion) we missed the habitat we were looking for and came out in a pasture, and there she was a good 3 footer, gorgeous. Still I did get some funny looks when I picked up Harvey from school later in the day, odd smell isn't it.
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2004 at 7:31pm
Hi Gemma , Thanks for putting the pics up .

LOL! :¼) Ah Yes ! It's that grass snake moment ;¼). 3foot!? Very nice , I'm glad you shared the lovely aroma ;¼)

Now, I'm not to sure . All I know is ,My sister had a tortoise with prolapsed cloaca and it looked just like this .The snake could not retract, and whatever it is was very dry , not healthy looking at all .
I'm sure one of our experts will clarify ;¼)

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2004 at 9:29pm
Hi Tony,
But why would it not wthdraw back into the snake? Is this a common occurance?

Alan
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2004 at 9:40pm
Ah so, After searching the net and looking at various veterinary sites is this what's called prolapsed hemipenes?

Cheers,
Alan
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2004 at 10:02am
Alan,

Yes, that is definitely a prolapsed hemipenis - the cloaca does not have any spines.

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2004 at 10:41am
Thanks Wolfgang :¼)

So, could we say that due to this prolapse the snake will probably die?

Cheers,
Alan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic