the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grass snake habitat destroyed....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grass snake habitat destroyed....
    Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 4:49am

...in South Wales.

One of the sites at which I have been keeping an eye on the natrix population is being knocked repeatedly this year and I am extremely concerned for the rapidly dwindling population of natrix at the site. Not so long ago it was a thriving and sizeable population despite the fact that the animals live on the fringes of a busy park.

Early in the year, when the bankside weed of one of the parkĘs ponds was literally teeming with amphibian larvae of all of the widespread species, the park management decided to dredge the entire weed growth out to "Improve" it. The excuse of making a nesting platform for the swans was given. The swans have now left, but itĘs a good deal easier for the coarse fishermen to amble up to the side of the now featureless pond.

Just prior to that, in early to mid March, hibernacula were bulldozed whilst the females were likely to have still been inside. I had seen some Males (the first of the year) basking at the site for a few days which then disappeared, presumably moving off to the spring grounds. I went away for 6 days and came back to find it devastated by plant machinery, supposedly to prevent kids scramble bikes from having access, nothing to do with improved drainage for the proposed extension to the Golf course!

Yesterday morning I took a stroll along one of the bramble hedgerows which separates an allotment with plenty of heat generating compost piles, from the park. The Brambles were encroaching about a meter (slightly more in places, slightly less in others) onto an area of the park which is little used other than for people to pass through. There are three such hedges, one of which I would see up to 6 individual animals basking at the edge of during favourable conditions. This 60 meter stretch was the "Hot spot" for spotting the animals, particularly adult females.

I shall attempt to get some images up (probably with Gemma`s help) which depict a still intact hedgerow close by and what is left of the former foci or hotspot.

Edited by GemmaJF
BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 12:05pm

Peter,

I guess many of us here could relate similar tales. It is very sad when you see this sort of thing but the authorities will always be able to justify their actions!

A park-mentality is often the culprit and in this case the place seems to already be on the edge of a park. There are a lot of rough and scruffy places in this country that are suitable for reptiles but if they are near or on the edge of towns then they must be tidied up.

Suz
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 1:28pm
They just don't get it do they. One glance at the original habitat and its value is obvious... well at least to some of us  What was the purpose of this 'management' it really looks as Suz has said that it is nothing more than tidying.
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 1:56pm

I think if we wait long enough there will be a cry to preserve adders and grassies and then lo and behold some of the very places that we know (but are being destroyed) will become protected habitat. Mind you we won't recognise these places until told by the authorities.

There are places outside of nature reserves, heaths and commons that hold these species and that is how it should be. I do historical research and whilst reading old diaries I come across references to adders well away from today's recognised sites. Whilst forcing adders, in particular, into certain places by ruining/removing links to adjacent sites we are risking losing populations by isolation. I know one small site that has adders but if there was a heath-fire the site could not be repopulated. Another site that is very adder-suitable has none and none can get there, but could once years ago.    

Suz
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 2:13pm

Firstly, thank you Gemma for sorting out the photographs for me.  It`s much appreciated.

Gemma and Suzi, it does indeed appear yet again that the work was done purely as a "clean up"  whim.  Impeccable timing again.

The Wildlife officer from the Bio Diversity unit responded as soon as I called her and came out to take the images above.  We then called at the visitor centre  (a mere 100 meters or so from the destroyed habitat) and discovered that the Park ranger was currently on holiday. It would seem that on this occasion the "work" was done by a gardener who appears to do such "clean ups" on a voluntary basis and seems to have a clear run to do as he pleases when and where he chooses. 

All of the work that has so far been carried out, (previously mentioned in the first post) and which has all been entirely detrimental to the amphibians and reptiles on site, including the hibernacula flattening in March, was carried out despite previous liaisons with the Bio Diversity unit at which the Parks department was advised not to carry out any further such work without consulting the Bio-Diversity unit further.

The receptionist at the visitor centre, (seated facing a huge display about the Park`s Bio-Diversity, I failed to notice reptiles mentioned anywhere surprisingly enough) was asked politely three times to ensure that she listed the request to the Park Ranger to contact the Bio-Diversity unit as URGENT  in an attempt to prevent any further work being carried out whilst the ranger was away, or indeed on his return.  Eventually I saw the word "Urgent" added and left.

I may be desperately looking for a positive here but there is some degree of hope.

The Wildlife officer of the Bio-Diversity unit mentioned previously has over the last few months developed an interest in as well as an awareness of the many problems that British herps face in addition to developing an understanding that the threats to reptiles & amphibians can often come from supposedly "wildlife friendly" organizations through sheer ignorance.  This interest may have come about due to my "in the face" tactics! The officer has also been on several site visits with me and now has a fairly broad idea and understanding of how to recognize likely habitat.  A genuine interest has developed to the point where the person concerned has now joined this forum.

A "Mini conference" is now in the process of being organized locally with the HCT`s guidance.  It is the intention for the various departments of the local authorities which carry out the type of work which destroys  suitable habitat for herps to attend the conference and gain an understanding of how to recognize such habitats.  Furthermore, to understand what time of year that certain activities must be curtailed, and that the bird nesting season is far from the only consideration.

We are aiming for the conference to be held in January.  Hopefully the information will still be fresh in the worker`s minds when the Spring comes.

Edited by Peter
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 2:48pm

Good luck Peter!

I contacted our Biodiversity Office the other year with a few questions and basically got a lecture on what people could and could not do with protected species. I was disgusted at their attitude as I was only asking questions and had no intentions of doing anything at all. A very standard and stupid response. Made me determined that if I ever did find a smooth snake or sand lizard in East Devon (unlikely) they would be the very last people I'd tell.

Suz
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 2:56pm
Thanks Suzi, and I understand where you are coming from!

In this instance however, I do feel that we may have recruited a "reptile aware" convert to go amidst the masses and assist us in enlightening the reptile ignorant.  Let`s hope so.

Edited by Peter
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 3:27pm

what a mess!!!

sounds like you've done some great work though peter. well done dude.

tim

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 3:49pm

Yes Peter, I should have put a "well done" to you for the recruitment!

Suz
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 3:54pm
Thanks for the kind words both, although I am only doing what any of you would do in the same situation, what we enjoy.  Devoting some time to recruiting another foot soldier to speak up for reptiles is worthwhile, plus I get to do what I enjoy doing most, walk some reptile habitat. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic