the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Societies, Groups and Clubs > Your Society or Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to set up a local group?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to set up a local group?
    Posted: 09 May 2005 at 12:16pm

there is no RAG in south wales, i really want to get one set up, anyone done this or know who to organise it through? any suggestions would be fantastic

mike :)

Mike Lister BSc hons Ecology & Env management
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2005 at 1:30pm

http://www.southwalesreptiles.org.uk/

Looks like its not just a pet club, they say theyhave an interest in native species too.

or: http://www.froglife.org/ARGs/ARGs.htm

they say:... "No local group? Then your area needs one!  Contact Froglife for details of how to set up an Amphibian and Reptile Group in your area"

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
evilmike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2005 at 2:02pm
just emailed froglife hopefully will recieve a reply, that reptile site looks more exotic but iam having a look thanks 
Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2005 at 3:34pm
An excerpt from GARG's newsletter:

ęGlamorganĘ Amphibian and Reptile Group.

ARG coverage in Wales is still quite sparse and apart from GARG, the only other active groups are North East Wales Amphibian and Reptile Group and North West Wales Amphibian and Reptile Group.   Good news for the Glamorgan area however, as a meeting was held on 12th of April to discuss setting up a new group for the area. As yet un-named, the group will initially cover the Local Authorities of Bridgend and Vale of Glamorgan, though will probably include Rhondda Cynon Taf and Merthyr Tydfil as well. If you are interested in getting involved in herp conservation in this area, please contact Lisa Kirby at lisakirbs@hotmail.com.

Here at GARG we're not very active at the moment, apart from GCN surveying, a pond restoration project and Adder monitoring. It's pretty much a 2 man show, and I'm too busy with my kids to devote much time to it, and Mel Sutherland is very busy with other things as well. We're looking for volunteers to help with committee stuff more than anything. We cover Monmouthshire, Newport, Cardiff, Blaenau Gwent, Torfaen and Caerphilly.

If the 'Glamorgan' group takes off, than only leaves Swansea and Neath Port Talbot out of what we normally think of as 'South Wales'.
Local Authority Ecologist
evilmike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2005 at 5:14pm

hi Matt, cheers for response, i live in Cardiff so this would be the main area for my coverage i suppose although travel isnt a problem. 

i see these groups are trying to cover vast areas thats alot of ponds etc to look at (cardiff to methyr) localised groups where possible i'd imagine would be a benefit depending on people power. ive been toying with the idea for a while about a cardiff group and had some good interest from friends we have the experience on the herp side just need pointing in the direction for the group.

ill email lisa to see if she can shed some light on the situation

thanks again

mike

Edited by evilmike
jopedder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jopedder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 7:30am

Hi Mike,

I'm applying for a job in Cardiff at the moment, if all goes well i'll be moving to the area and interested to join local ARG, NHS etc. - I'll let you know if I make the move.

evilmike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 2:20pm

good luck with the job, ive been in contact with froglife and they are sending out some information, looking promising so far :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic