the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial advertising - opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2005 at 10:27pm

To give an illustration of just how limited the current server resources are I've just had to suspend the file upload facility on the online record submission form before we get suspended for going over our bandwidth allowance.. a real shame as pictures submitted have been really useful for varifying records :0(

It seems if I do anything to develop the site it runs into problems with bandwidth.

A quick fix would be to invite paypal donations to support the forum itself, if the response is good I can keep advertising off of the forum whilst making the most of the space on the homepage for commercial ads. This way those that might find the ads useful have a new resource, those that don't want to see advertising can just come straight onto the forum using the following URL:

http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2005 at 11:31pm
Paypal button is now up at the top of the page, any problems let me know.
Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2005 at 9:25am
If you move to msql will the forum still be asp based ?, I'll warrant probably yes and that's the killer, non unix based servers are usually more expensive with less facilities.

It occours to me that if you are going to move to msql (ie the data can be ported) then you could move to a unix server running a unix & msql style forum and port the data. You get a better server cheaper with more space and Rauk keeps all the old data.
Britains smallest Country Park ? - Brickfields Country Park
Soemtron
Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2005 at 10:15am
Out of interest I had a quick look at our logs, total Rauk traffic is 43% of our total, about 100Mb in the last 7 days and just under 600Mb for March, space used is 5Mb.

We are currently using 15% of storage and 10% of traffic, feel free to move your static pages over, the smileys are there as well so you could re-enable them.

Edited by Mike
Soemtron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2005 at 10:42am

Hi Mike,

I agree in the long-term a unix server would be a desirable solution. For now msql is the only realistic option due to my own limitations of time and experience with unix. I mean what on earth is a cgi-bin and who would want to store their data in a 'bin' in the first place ;0)

Other features such as the online submission form are asp based, so the site would need to be recoded from scratch - that is going to mean a long outage of the site at its busiest time.

If we move to an msql server we will gain 10 times the bandwidth and retain the asp components the site currently relies on - at a price though all I will have to do is migrate the current database to msql, iron out the bugs and the current problems should be solved. This would give me time to research the unix options for the future.

I'll monitor the bandwidth usage over the next few days and may take up the offer of moving the static pages as we have eaten into a big chunk of this months allowance already :0(

(PS thanks for all the help and advice over the last couple of years, I might just have given up without it)

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2005 at 10:51am
Please don't give up Gemma.

Now, A beaten up Blue Metro ? Hehe, No worries ... I drive the the ultimate Grandad mobile , A black Micra "(Shhhh don't tell anyone) .

Nothing wrong with BSA Mervyn ;¼) Did you know that David Bowie is the Founder member of the BSA Lovers fan club?

Yeeeah Right , hehe .
Right , now I will Stay on Topic :¼D!!

Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2005 at 9:59am
Common Gateway Interface Binaries - Another directory almost like any other, but has privileges and restrictions. If you really want to mess with your mind try getting your head around file access permissions, owner, group, other - 755 666 655, now that will send you do-lally.

Your online form is appears html with an asp process to post, the form can reside with us and have the post still process your asp by redirecting the " ACTION="send_form_v03.asp".
Alternatively I could look at a post through our system redirected to your/other email system. I think there is a lot we can probably do for you in the short term.

Edited by Mike
Soemtron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2005 at 10:08am

Mike, I'm having enough trouble trying to work out how I'm going to migrate the current RAUK access database to the MS SQL server without worrying about access permissions, so now I find out I need Enterprise Manager on my comp before I can do anything... great! (MS must have a freebee evalution versions somewhere??) 

PS I did know what CGI-bin ment, I googled for it before I posted LOL!

-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2005 at 6:30pm
Out of inteested, a semi-dedicated Unix server (dedicated server but sharing raid disk space) can be had for ú240/yr with 5Gb dsk pace and 60Gb monthly bandwidth limits. An SQL PHP swap is required but it's a lot less than ú600/yr. If you have a redundant (i.e. basic, no personal details etc)ASP database knocking around (an old one from initial site tests before launch?) I would happily look into conversion for you as it's someting that we will need for a client soon ourselves (it's an ASP based college intranet system - gonna be a real hoot! Not!!!).

Lee.

Edited by -LAF
Lee Fairclough
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2005 at 9:21pm

If my rather fuzzy memory serves me correctly Lee I think I might remember someone asking me where to get a free forum for a college site..

I haven't got a version of the database without any members details, though I do have dozens of backups, if I cleared the Private messages there shouldnt' be any info that isn't avialable on the forum about members, passwords are encrypted. Let me know if this would be suitable and I'll get one to you.

I'm still a little dubious about moving RAUK to a non-asp server despite the cost benefits. I've other asp applications that I have written for the site such as the records form and its the only language I'm comfortable with.

I want to develop and integrate RAUK more fully and really can't imagine using any other language particularly as I have major time pressures at the moment. 

Also the site will have to propogate right across the web again and be re-registered with browsers right at the time of year when people want the info, note even the homepage is default.asp to allow integration with other asp applications I've developed for the site. Basicly, and I have seen it happen to other sites a move to unix now would virtually kill RAUk for at least a year whilst it re-establishes.. unless we can amuse ourselves talking to each other without any members of the public asking for help LOL!

The way the bandwidth warnings are coming I'm expecting the plugs to be pulled at any moment, MS SQL will be my only option in the short-term to get the site back online, simply because I now know how to migrate the database and it will be the only option avialable from our current service provider.

If that gives me a year of breathing space I can look into unix and switching the forum to PHP if you find that it is possible, or settle with MS SQL if advertising will cover costs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic