the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Projects and Grants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at new project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2004 at 9:20pm
You may want to attend the herp workers meeting early next year. There may be a talk that suggests ideas for adder projects ;-)

Edited by calumma
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
spaniel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spaniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2004 at 7:31pm

Well I have been to see the sites on offer and feel abit overwhelmed by the size of the areas! I feel that I could take too much on if I'm not careful due to all the sites are large and slightly different.

Would you think maybe take 2 sites and work them to get a better survey rather than a greater number?

I think if I take any more for my first project if could be too much to cope with!

The way round it I think is to survey the areas in mind and state that due to the variation in sites further surveys for these areas would be advisable to get better results.

Do you think this idea would be acceptable?

Any ideas or further help greatly recieved

Ian

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2004 at 9:10am

Ian,

I think there are a few factors to consider which will help you to determine the size of a survey site.

Which survey techniques will you use ?

How frequently will you visit the site ?

How long can you spare for each visit ?

Species targetted and terrain type ?

I'm no expert, but have had to consider the same issue lately, and have personally decided a rule of thumb....obviously open for comment by the forum.

For open heathland, combining refugia and belt transect visual encounter survey methods, visiting the site fortnightly (about 20 visits per season) and staying on site 1-2 hours, I think I can cope with a 25 hectare area. If I interleve areas either by visiting weekly, or by staying on site longer, maybe two 25-hectare areas.

If you want to work out the area of your site...try: www.magic.gov.uk where you can use the interactive map to zoom into your site of interest and use the polygon tool to assess the area of interest in hectares.

If you want a basic idea of habitat coverage over the site, use multimap (www.multimap.com ?) to zoom onto your area, then switch to the aerial photography tab to view culture. Its not the best way to determine culture coverage, but certainally targets the areas which you may choose to walk for a visual (ground) survey prior to your herp survey.

Just my thoughts :P

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic