the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frensham Worm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frensham Worm
    Posted: 02 Oct 2004 at 3:30pm

Finally got a half decent pic of a Frensham Slow worm, found my first Minotaur beetle too !, nice old Male to boot. Another good day at Frensham :P

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2004 at 8:36pm

That's one nice piccy Vicar and it looks like she's got a complete tail to boot, it always amazes me just how long they are when the tail isn't missing.

I've not been to Frensham for years and years, I'll have to put it on my list for spring.

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2004 at 1:29pm

Ta,

She scooted across a woodland path after I had passed, but before my G/f...It was her yelp which made me turn around :P

Was very gentle with her, as I didn't want her to pop off her tail, she actually slid onto my hand (very cold to the touch!).

Is the S-raising of the head a defence reaction ? or was she just getting a better view of where to go ? - she seemed completely unstressed.

G/f is chuffed to bits, she only comes along for a wander occasionally, and in the last 2 weeks has seen 5 of our 6 reps :P

Edited by Vicar
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2004 at 1:40pm

Although not a herp, this is the chap responsible for all those mini mole-hills you see out on the heaths ! - Seen same day as the above:

Edited by Vicar
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic