the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sand lizard markings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2006 at 5:33pm

Steve,

Did you ever come up with a numerical system for keeping up with individuals in reference to your first post in this thread?

It seems the concept is much along the lines of the methods used by Benson for adder, see

http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1365 &PN=1&TPN=1

The idea being that using various features such as head marking, scalation and stripe variation you can code an individual adder. It should then be easier to check previous records to see if this animal has been encountered before, using partial or complete information, rather than checking potentially hundreds of images.

I've got a working example

BW140206_001_M_MB_P_5152142_FZZMMWTO

which translates to

site/date first seen_arbitrary field number_sex_base colour (mid brown)_scalation (P = parietal, due to a striking feature)_5152142, relates to scale group counts_FZZMMWTO is after Benson and is a way to describe the stripe, in this case it translates to fore-body zigzag mid-body mirror wave tail ovals

underscores are to keep it windows friendly,

In theory you could maybe get the FZZMMWTO bit from a fleeting glance, then get a high degree of confidence in the identification from a photographic image scale count.

Would like to know if you had any success with this sort of system and any pitfalls.
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2006 at 4:31am

Heh, yeah I got some way forward in assigning marking 'types', such as number of dorsal white dot clusters (3x2, 4x1 etc), continuous dark banding etc.

But, then had a chat with the folks at Marwell. They are looking at adapting their zebra automated recognition software to sand lizards.

Basically their system allows you to submit a pic of a zebra, and through various transforms, you get a set of unique values, which can be translated into an individual ID. (As I understand it). Tho I'm unsure how the lizard is isolated from the context.

When they get this working for Sandies, it will be far more effective than my approach, so I've stopped. Next time I see them, I'll chase progress.

Currently, I use photo-fit cards, like the one I've posted under individual adder section.

Edited by Vicar
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic