the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lizard (?) sighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote appleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lizard (?) sighting
    Posted: 23 May 2004 at 8:38pm

A neighbour came to my door carrying what looked to be a lizard, which prompted me to seek out this newsgroup.

We are in East Yorkshire on chalky gravel. Very dry soil.

It was 5 inches long. Virtually black from head to toe on its upper side. Yellow/Orange underneat with black spots about 5-7 mm across. They loked larger than the spotrs on the Common on this web site.

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2004 at 11:21pm

The black dorsal surface and larger spots on the belly make me wonder could it have been a Great Crested Newt? Slow moving (on land) they have warty skin as opposed to scales.

A picture would allow a positive identification, but take a look at our ID page anyway:

http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/great_crested_newt.htm

If your sure it was a lizard, the only likely candidate is the common or viviparous lizard, they can be quite variable in colour.

appleton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote appleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2004 at 6:01pm
I now have a picture. Where could I post it?
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2004 at 8:15pm

you can either email it to me at mailto:gemmajfairchild@aol.com or you can place the html to show the picture directly into the post reply box.

Edited by administrator
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic