the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fate of Frogs Spawn in Temporary Pools?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave n dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2004 at 8:03am

Hiya folks,

I guess it's time for me to visit a local country park.  The early spawnings occur in tyre ruts, often contaminated with diesel fuel.,Thanks to the council.

Half a bucket of relocated, flushed spawn produced thousands of froglets last year.  Much to the amusement of local children and amazement of some adults.  I relocate to a urban park pond, it attracts swans, ducks, gulls and has seen an increase in weed growth and aquatic life over the years.  Last year showed a fair number of newts too.  Fish, goldfish and rudd, someone put a young pike in too, I can't say that was welcome.

For some reason(s) the local council frown on this behaviour, well I'm sorry, It's our park, we will manage it with or without blessing.  I hate to see it as a hole in the ground and full of shopping trolleys, discarded bikes, beer cans etc.  Shame on nelc. 

cyba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2005 at 12:29pm
Hi again everyone! I wrote here last year about my unusual frog and toad situation (I have 5 frogs and now 3 toads and possibly 2 newts in a very small water-free back yard enclosed on all sides by 16-20 foot-high walls).

I usually let the tadpoles develop in a trough or other receptacle until they are virtually fully formed then take them down to the local pond, as there are lots of huge municipal carp there who would easily make a meal of my little guys. I thought this would give 'em a bit of a head start?
Morpheus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 5:13am
I also found a tempory ditch full to the brim with frogspawn and it started to drain repidly so i got it all up together and put some in my pond and some in a large tank.
The spawn in the pond was attacked by frost though the ones in the tank have grown large and have started to develop legs.
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2006 at 11:25am

Whats all this top secret cross instead of pics stuff? it might have been nice to see some comparisons!

R

RobV
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2006 at 2:09pm
I think it's cos the pictures are old Rob. I remember seeing them last year on here.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic