the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Population crash ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Population crash ??
    Posted: 15 May 2021 at 8:19pm
Here in essex i have been visiting two sites that have had an abundant number of grass snakes. Snakes could be seen at all the small ponds either hunting for newts or basking at the edge. A survey was done about five years ago (results unknown) and at that time every tin had at least one or more snakes beneath. Six was the most i saw under a single sheet.All sheets then removed. Since that period numbers have fallen. 2020 only one sighting and this year no sightings so far.It's a bit of a mystery.
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:42pm
Interesting - until this year I would regularly see up to 5 or 6 hedgehogs in my garden each night, the corrugated sheets I have in the garden would have a number of slowworms under them every time I looked, and I would regularly see adders along the nearby cliffs, and grass snakes along the canal, yet so far this year I have seen the same slowworm twice, no snakes at all, and have only had a single individual hedgehog visiting sporadically, it is like all of the wildlife in the area has suddenly disappeared.

Not sure if this is part of some natural cycle, or whether there are other reasons which I am unaware of but it is pretty heartbreaking to see...
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 8:38pm
I find grass snakes very flighty in the open. Under covers is more my guaranteed method of seeing them. However you did see them in the open and now you don't so bit of a mystery. The other thing is grass snakes seem to warm up and move off fairly quickly - adders more heat tolerant? Do tins etc. attract snakes to a place?
I have lots of slow worms under covers in my garden, but seldom see them in the open. 
I had several hedgehogs in my garden for about a month this spring but they've gone now. 
We have had a very cold and dry April and now a monsoon May. I guess wildlife copes with all this.

Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic