the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A freezing Hermans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camerart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A freezing Hermans
    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 10:26am
Hi,
It's frosty here and my Hermans is buried in the garden.
I have just stuck a probe in the ground about where she is, and it's 2Degrees.  I think this is too cold.

Obviously, it's dificult to warm the ground up smoothly.

Any suggestions.
Camerart
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:44pm
How does she normally hibernate? We had a tortoise in both the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and Dorset and always hibernated it indoors under the stairs in a box of leaves. Is it not risky in this country to rely on them just digging in to the ground? I know Poole is considered mild overall, but is it suitable for outdoor hibernating? 
Suz
Camerart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camerart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 9:56am
Hi S,
Previously, she hibernated in an insulated box, but it got over 12°, and kept waking up.  Last year she buried herself in a stone 'cave' I made from 1/2 inch stone slabs, filled with earth, and a kind of letter box.  It has been minus -0° here, so I put a heater in the letter box, then insulated the letter box.  A bit worrying.

She'll be waking up in a couple of weeks.
C
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic