the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > ARG UK - Amphibian & Reptile Groups of the UK > ARG UK
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this an early baby grass snake?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this an early baby grass snake?
    Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 1:25pm
Hoping for some thoughts from the experts. This morning I saw what looked like a baby grass snake but it seems too early i(June 18) - I thought baby grass snakes were more August.

Context: Family walk up Bredon Hill (Worcestershire) before it gets too hot (29C forecast for afternoon, probably low twenties at the start of the walk  about 9:30).  My elder son spotted pictured snake on the path - probably was basking - then playing dead. He took a photo and then a nice video of it when it made it's way off into the grass. Pretty sure it's a grass snake but to give a better idea of scale it was about 15cm long and not much thicker than a thick bootlace (camera close up zooms are so good these days - it looks huge but really it was quite tiny!). So, am I right that it's only a baby? Are higher animals already adapting to global warming (seems a bit quick to me)...are there any other reports of early reptile babies in the UK (I have slow worms in my compost but no idea when they breed - only that I'm concerned to use the compost for fear of disturbing them (and the bumble bee nest) - so much so that I now have three compost heaps on the go but never use any compost.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic