the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frogs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frogs
    Posted: 25 May 2017 at 6:46pm
So I was in Kent today and found these.

Now I take it the darker one is a Marsh Frog, but what about the other one?

R
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 6:47pm
Oh by the way, the lighter one was absolutely massive, bordering bull from proportions! R
RobV
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 6:32am
both marsh frog - I imagine loving the warm sunshine too!
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 5:14pm
I presume it is Marsh frogs that we see at Dungeness - the ones we see there are very dark, almost black, what would cause such colour variations? The habitat at Dungeness is mainly crystal clear water, very little weed except at the margins where it is rush etc rather than submerged weed.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:04pm
generally speaking they colour up and down very fast - greener in sunlight and brown in shade / at the start of the season.  But they also have varied mottlings and blotches depending on the individual that seem more permanent (could perhaps be used in recognition studies year on year?)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic