the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

combat 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: combat 2016
    Posted: 19 May 2016 at 7:49pm
Here's a few shots of sand lizard combat which my son and I were lucky enough to watch a couple of weeks ago - the evenly matched males literally tumbled down a sandy slope right in front of us and allowed us to watch as the genetic imperative took over completely, oblivious to the danger of being spotted by a kestrel or other predator.  There was no ritual, just brutality!  After around 10 minutes we wondered if we ought to intervene, but at that moment some small difference alerted one of the males that he was the lesser of the two and off he scarpered, saving us from our moral dilemma!  Higher res photos on my Flickr stream eg https://www.flickr.com/photos/100121190@N06/26829943921/

Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 9:35pm
brilliant will. you really do get some great shots.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 9:35am
Thanks TimBig smile
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 12:52am
Yeah, great post and thrilling action (liked the last one especially!). Who needs Jurassic World?
I rarely get to see sand lizards, so appreciate the share Will.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 6:45am
Cheers Ben, I'll try to keep the odd report / sighting coming.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic