the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Reporting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LACK OF REPORTS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 9:12am
Hi - a study would be good, I would recommend placing a regular grid of sheets of roofing felt etc around the whole area, even those with short grass (slowworms can turn up in surprisingly short sward).  They shouldn't be marked - all kinds of problems in terms of increasing risk of predation, causing harm when marking them, as well as the plain fact that I don't think felt tip would stay long.  Having said that, individual slowworms can be recognised by the patterns of flecks especially above the jawline, also on the nape of the neck, a bit like with adders but on a smaller scale (literally...)  this might entail gently restraining them and taking photos.  It could build up into a nice project.
Camerart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camerart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 9:18am
Ok, First, I have a camera that can spot movement, and I'll place it over the track where I saw the slow worm,and see if I can figure out any pattern.
C.
churchfield62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote churchfield62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 11:15pm
shortly i saw a cobra (complete black) posing in my garden, but austria. middle sized.
#najanigricollis
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 5:46am
What a bottle if cobra lager
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 8:07pm
Just picking up on the slow worm movements, several times during mitigations we have seen mini migrations across a site. For example a bank may form a hibernaculum and they start there in the spring then spread out over a site foraging in damp weather that gets the slugs moving. Certainly have observations of individuals using the same refuge at least for a few days at a time. So a picture of a very loose association with a 'home' at times, but I think generally movements are dictated by the slugs and soil conditions and things like available refuges. I once read a mitigation proposal that stated that exclusion fencing was not needed as slow worms are always entirely sedentary. Wrong!

Edited by GemmaJF - 11 Nov 2016 at 8:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic