the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Studland Herps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Studland Herps
    Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 2:45pm
Hi all. As a herpetologist I have often somewhat neglected the wonders of our own British species, mainly undertaking field studies in Asia. My main interests are snakes. Having visited Dorset's Studland earlier this year I was successful in observing and recording all three snake species on the heathland - walking to the heath area just beyond Shell Bay. Nice adult adders were caught and studied, grass snakes too but of the seven smooth snakes observed without disturbance, all were female. The males had somewhat eluded me. I would like to visit Studland again in the new year to observe male smooth snakes. I understand Studland is a good area for the species but are there any other Studland regions which are better than my previous designation? Many thanks

Edited by Robert123 - 13 Nov 2015 at 3:19pm
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 3:37pm
Dear Robert - first, welcome to the forum. I doubt if you will find anyone who would give you specific locations for smooth snakes on the forum for obvious reasons, without in any way doubting your personal credentials. Secondly, if you have managed to find no fewer than 7 smooth snakes in situ, without disturbance or tin lifting etc then you are more talented in this than most!! I have been studying them under licence for several years and I reckon that I'm doing well if I find more than one or two without 'help' in situ annually. I'm sure you'll find a male if you start at the beginning of the season, when they tend to bask more openly than usual. Gravid females more often seen later on in the season than males, as you have found. So it's more a question of when to look, rather than any specific location - Studland has as high a density of smooth snakes as anywhere else, in my own experience.
Robert123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 8:38am
Thank you kindly for your post. I believe my sightings were more of luck than judgement but nonetheless, like all of us here, it makes the day when you stumble across a snake. I've had experience on mainland Europe with the Smooth Snake undertaking population and movement studies by scale counts & ventral clipping. The species as you are aware occupies quite a diverse range of habitat and not endemic to heathland like in England. However, its ecology in England is totally new to me and I admire your experience and knowledge in this field. I shall definitely visit Studland again in the new year to utilise your kind advice to try and observe male individual. Thank you once again.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 6:18am
Yes as Will says spotting in the open is a bonus as both me and Will know and have been luckey to have seen quite a few, but giving out info as to exactly where is a bit to open to abuse, my contribution to the forum of late has been a bit negative as have not sorted out download prob with pics dont know why Keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic