the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

They must like me!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: They must like me!
    Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 8:56pm
Second time this has happened My kitchen has a back door into a hall that has a door to garden.I'm in said kitchen and a juvenile grass snake comes gliding into my kitchen.I'm talking very young snake no bigger than a lobworm.See larger individuals in back pond but that is 60 feet from house these little creatures have to cross 10 ft of gravel terraces to get in.What can be the attraction??
Ray999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 10:07pm
Could it be newly hatched from eggs laid close by, do you have dry stone garden wall or even the walls of your house.

Ray.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 10:51pm
Has it come from a compost heap?
Suz
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 6:34am
Hi Dave are you talking about this country ? Keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
gingerdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 9:35am
Originally posted by AGILIS AGILIS wrote:

Hi Dave are you talking about this country ? Keith

Yes Keith merry old Worcestershire.There is nowhere within 100 ft where they could have nested .Earlier this year in France there was a plague,slight exaggeration, of Aesculapian snakes between 2ft and 4ft.They seemed to be everywhere.Had to keep stopping on local roads to move the ungrateful viscous little things.Also quite a few smooth snakes ,juveniles mostly in rough stone walls.Blimey Keith you get up early!

Edited by gingerdave - 08 Sep 2015 at 10:40am
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 1:38pm
Dave 634am is halfway though the morning.
gingerdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 11:33am
Ñoooo Keith we over in the Vale of Evesham are like posh Victorians "good morning" can mean anything up to 2.30 PM
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 8:13am
I thought you was in Warwickshire sleeping off all the naughty parties they hold on the gentries estates of a weekend after a days herping keith
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic