the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Reporting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

50 Shades of Green.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50 Shades of Green.
    Posted: 13 May 2015 at 8:02pm
This morning I found this Western Green Lizard (Lacerta bilineata) basking in the grass. He was a stunner and vivid green. I couldn't believe other people were walking past without noticing him glowing in the grass.

(Both photos of the same lizard)

I was wondering if there is a brighter green in the reptile (or amphibian) world?

Is this...

Sand Lizard (Lacerta agilis)

any brighter than this...

Wall Lizard (Podarcis muralis)

I think my vote would have to go to the male Lb, green enough to make your eyes bleed.

Anyone other greens out there that come close???
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 9:02pm
Lovely photos. That last lizard is doing the foot waving thing it seems.
Suz
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 9:02pm
what a great set of photos!  Nice to see at least one green lizard survives on the cliffs at Boscombe...  The greenest lizards I ever saw were the Madagascar day geckoes, Phelsuma spp, but these UK specimens certainly give them a run for their money.  I have heard that during combat male sand lizards seem to become an even more intense shade of green, but I can't say I've noticed this when I have watched them fighting myself.
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 10:57pm
Yes, some Phelsuma seem almost day-glo. I have only seen captive lizards, I bet they are even brighter in the wild.

I hadn't heard that La males flush during combat.

Do Eastern Green Lizards - (Lacerta viridis) appear greener because of the contrasting blue throat?

Bulgarian L.viridis

Or is Balkan Green Lizard (Lacerta trilineata) greener?

Bottom photo is in better light, which I guess is the crux of the whole matter.
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 5:11pm
great shots of some fabulous lizards there matey

tim
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 6:20pm
Thanks Tim, feel free to post any green 'uns here. Looking for bright green though, not khaki or olive.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 8:11pm
Hi Ray - this has to be the most amazingly coloured UK lizard I have seen, sadly not for myself but through Dan Kane's Flickr stream - I hope he wont' mind me posting a link to it here:

astonishing Merseyside race sand lizard male:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dkphoto2010/7145859593/
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 10:44pm
Those dune race Sand Lizards are stunning and the one in the link is just superb. I find it hard to believe there could be a brighter green lizard in the UK.

I've never been up to the dune systems in the north-west, maybe next Spring.

These do green pretty well, and other colours too.

Young Mediterranean Chameleon (Chamaeleo chameleon). Spain.

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 7:58am
WS
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic