the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rampant feral grass snakes biting peoples dogs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rampant feral grass snakes biting peoples dogs
    Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 9:24pm
un effing believable dopey public dog walking on our common lands sending reports on facebook that their pets have become ill after grass snakes had bitten them lol if it werent so alarming to local public reaction all going round freaking out kill kill kill all snakes so I wrote up and posted pics of them and telling that they were harmless and dont have fangs or teeth, also ther are no adders in this area and explained most dogs that have infected bites that are from rodents like rats or insects like hornets or wasps and the poor old snakes get the blame. It just take one person to write crap that send all into a panic one woman even said she has seen a grass snakes bite her dog I offered her to show me where they were . as I said almost laughable. Keith

Edited by AGILIS - 22 Jun 2014 at 9:31pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 11:02pm
Were these the variety of grass snake that leap out onto dogs?!
I met someone recently who walks a dog on a local common. He said to me that he wondered if there were adders and I confirmed there were. He said his dog liked to snuffle along the edge of firebreaks and I said really it was best kept on a lead as that is where adders like to lie out. He commented that dogs didn't get proper exercise unless they were off the lead. So the inference was that it would be the adder's fault if anything happened to the dog. As you say Keith....unbelievable!
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic