the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cornish Adder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginger! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cornish Adder
    Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 2:17pm
Ginger! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginger! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 2:22pm
It's taken me longer to reduce the photo file size and upload it than it did to find this little Adder!  So that's a very small Adder shot on my iPhone. First encountered (her?) laying in short grass, body flattened, soaking up some rays. Very docile. Moved her on a little stick and placed her where I took this shot. She soon adopted this pose then beat a very hasty retreat. Beautiful. All of bout 6 inches long if stretched out, I thnk. Saw a tail of a disappearing adult but I only had a quick hour to spare. About 12 dgrees but cool wind off the sea and hard to find shelter. Seen a few in this location before.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 7:31am
Well spotted ginger were in Kernow was you keith

Edited by AGILIS - 27 May 2014 at 7:32am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 10:20pm
Nice find Ginger. Cornwall is great for Adder eh? I the right conds, i never have much trouble finding them along the SW Coast Path. Also remember seeing one on the moorland near Madron. For almost as far as you could see, it was black as night following a fire. Then, right in the middle of it, very close to the Neolithic Men-an-Tol, suddenly an Adder appeared.
Perhaps it survived by going down a burrow.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:13am
That was a interesting point liz

Edited by AGILIS - 28 May 2014 at 8:14am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 11:07pm
It was one of my most memorable herp encounters Keith. Unexpected and eerie! The ground was still gently smouldering and i remember thinking that the whole place resembled some scene from a corny 1970's Hammer Horror film!
I quickly reached for my crappy non-digital pocket camera to try and get a pic of the - unharmed as far as i could tell - snake, but it rapidly disappeared into the charred gorse embers as suddenly as it had appeared.
Thankfully, the ring doughnut-like Men-an-Tol ("stone with hole") burial chamber stones escaped the ravages of the blaze too - they had a grassy fire-break around them.

Edited by Liz Heard - 29 May 2014 at 11:08pm
Ginger! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginger! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 7:15pm
Keith, I was just up the road from St.Ives. I know a perfect path on a South facing slope, that cuts around a hill. It makes a perfect break, providing a continuous edge that they come to for a bit of sun. Makes a nice walk too, up to about 300 metres, nice views. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic