the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it all over??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it all over??
    Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 9:40am
Hi all,

I saw the scale of flooding on the Somerset levels and wondered, do you think it's all over for Grass Snakes there.Mile after mile under water. It is difficult to see how any could have survived.

RShocked ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.
RobV
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 4:52pm
I would guess widespread localised flooding isn't good news for grass snakes, on the other hand locally the waterlogged arable fields are probably a good thing for amphibians. Plenty of ponds that have not held water in over a decade around here have re-established both last winter and again this winter. 

So I guess bad news for some local populations of grass snakes in terms of direct mortalities, good news for other grass snake populations (such as my local one) which may in time see an increase in local amphibian numbers directly due to wet winters.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 12:47am
Historically the Somerset Levels have been a pretty watery place. I think there will be places that they know are safe. I was out there last week, and yes lots of flooded fields but the railway embankment and the canal were clear and I could see some good places for grass snakes.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic