the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Ever Pleasures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kogia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Ever Pleasures
    Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 11:08am
Saw my first ever sand lizard the week before last (17th April) during a quick trip down to Thursley Common.

Only found the one though, but he was a very striking green-flanked male basking on mosses in a sunny spot on the edge of a strip cut into the heather.

I took a few great shots then wandered off for a couple of hours, when I went by the same area on my way back to my car he was still in the same spot.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 1:49pm
Nice one!  sounds like a great encounter which will stay with you forever - or until you go senile at least.. 
Kogia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kogia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 8:51am
Thanks, I'm not ashamed to admit that I got a big buzz, aside from the fact a new sought-after species is always nice, it was such a beautiful individual, in a stunning location amongst the heather on a bed of bright green moss. I was quite surprised how bright the green was, great camouflaged colour combination.
I'd also, just moments before, seen a grass snake, stepped into a patch with 5 adders (2 hissing loudly) and seen a slow worm, all within a few meters of each other. So it was a perfect finisher.

Fingers crossed senility doesn't take it too soon.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 10:50am
Congratulations Kogs I remember the thrill of seeing my first in the late 1950s and it has always stayed with me , and still get it when seeing them on new sites,and glad to see they have survived the last big fire on Thursley ,Keith

Edited by AGILIS - 02 May 2013 at 8:34am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic