the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

North Wales Aesculapians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 8:32pm
interesting and sad thread.

unfortunately though, being realistic i can't see many people getting particularly excited about a story that is essentially - some snakes have escaped from captivity and started breeding. they are harmless but the authorities want to catch them and place them back in captivity.

lets hope will's right. i've always thought apathy was underrated!

tim
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by JaySteel JaySteel wrote:

I think we need to make people aware of the possible consequences of allowing this to happen. As we've touched on, this could be just the start with a long list of other species at risk of being in the firing line next. If people are aware that some of the more "cute & fluffy" creatures are also potential targets then they might get on board. 

Who is it exactly that are making these decisions? I like to hear some names of the organisations and individuals behind this.
How can several decades of previous governments have no problem with the existence of these two aesculapian snake populations and then this current bunch come along and decide on the country's behalf that the snakes have to go?

I think we should be fighting to have some kind of hearing or public enquiry to ascertain as to whether this species is actually "invasive" and a genuine threat to our native wildlife or not. if there are no good reasons for their removal other than "they don't belong here" then they should be left alone. The more I read this thread the angrier I get about this situation. How can we be so powerless? Are there not enough of us that care to make any difference at all?

Jason

However many there are of us I doubt anyone will listen. 

The authorities do not listen when we warn of or complain about UK protected native species being wiped out. 

I doubt anyone will be listened to at all on this one. I guess most of us think is daft, completely unnecessary, crass, well I could go on all night and often do, but it won't make any difference at all.

The only hope is the whole thing will be forgotten and fall off the agenda before anything is done.

Edited by GemmaJF - 06 Mar 2013 at 11:05pm
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 10:01am
Rob wrote:  Of course Will, there is a third option...  - do you mean capturing them and releasing them somewhere else, Rob?  now there is a thought - some lovely remote valley in the south of England with woodland, scrub and plenty of farms nearby for egg laying.  Only joking, of course, as this would be a reprehensible actWink  In all seriousness, people from NE who were against the London Zoo snakes always gave the possibility of someone catching Zoo snakes and releasing them into the countryside at large as a major reason for their eradication.  Personally, I think it far more likely that a population in the countryside would be derived from unwanted captive animals rather than someone deliberately coming to Regents Park and catching enough snakes from there to found a colony, but there you go.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:48am
I could only think Will that such an introduction attempt would come from a very misguided captive breeder, just like in the past with certain lizard colonies. I much easier route than trying to catch individuals established in the wild and re-releasing them. So I can't follow the NE logic at all. Nothing new there then.

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 12:25pm
Exactly.  Far easier to proceed via the captive animals route, as has been done for wall lizards as you say, and perhaps non-native subspecies of grass snake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic