the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Method & Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BURMESSE PYTHON HUNT USA STYLE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BURMESSE PYTHON HUNT USA STYLE
    Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 7:12am
Well if your headed for Florida today you could go on the big Python hunt with shot guns pistols dynamite machettes etc as the authorities from today have placed a bounty of $1000 and $1500 for the biggest caught or the largest amount in a attempt to eliminate them from the everglades where they have spread being alien species its all a bit grusome but could subsidise your holiday in these times of cutbacks. keith

Edited by AGILIS - 12 Jan 2013 at 7:17am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 9:34am
Hi Keith - Happy New Year to you and all other rauk-ers. 

Yes, I heard this today as well - awful idea, basically a licence for all gun-toting snake haters in the US (which is probably a majority of the total population) to go around the Everglades killing anything which resembles any species of snake - talk about collateral damage.  I bet some mammals, birds etc are killed too.  Let's hope no humans get caught up in the hail of bullets.

Cheers

Will

Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 10:29am
Frank Mazzotti of the University of Florida was interviewed about this on the Today programme a couple of days ago- he tried very much to downplay the 'gun-toting mob' image:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9784000/9784518.stm

The rules of the competition are worth reading:
There's a $25 registration fee, a mandatory training session, disqualification for anyone who kills native snakes or posts inhumane images on social media, and all snakes submitted must have a data sheet submitted with them (including GPS coordinates). 

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 1:19pm
Thanks Caleb, thats good to know.  I hope that it will be adequately policed to prevent any untrained, unlicensed gun-toters taking potshots though.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 1:22pm
...and I hope that there will not be a similar approach taken to eradicate those pesky and dangerous Aesculapian snakes on the Regents Canal...Wink
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 5:51am
Funny you mentioning the regents canal snakes "Will" there was a article about them I think on the radio before Xmas or in a national newspaper,and my thoughts were about loads vigilantees all heading for the area,but seeing its winter,most of the plebs will have forgotten about them by the time the weather is ok for them to make a debut Keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 6:42am
Hi Keith - I know there was definitely one in the Independent as they used one of my photos (got a name check, but no payment worse luck).  It was a fairly balanced article, I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic