the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

partly melanistic smooth snake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: partly melanistic smooth snake
    Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 5:57pm
Just found this male smooth snake in Purbeck while collecting data.  Not seen one like this before; almost black towards the tail end, but nearer normal nearer the head.  I think a couple of fully melanstic smooth snakes were found within a few miles of this site a couple of years ago.

Cheers

Will

with a more normal male for comparison:

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 7:50am
Nice find Will, thanks for sharing.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 9:16am
Thanks GemmaSmile
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 10:46am
Good spotting Will I am trying my best for a late in season week at Wareham but this weekend being a holiday detered me hooking up the caravan I have usually had a few trips to Purbeck etc under the belt by now, I have never been so late in the field.I will have to take a print off of your smoothies to remind me what they look like if I see one keith

Edited by AGILIS - 27 Aug 2012 at 10:49am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 12:42pm
Hi Keith

good luck - should be some around trying to get some sun before it's too late!  here's a couple of pics of a gravid animal found basking right next to a tin to whet your appetite

Cheers

Will

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 7:17am
Cheers Will I find smoothies tend to allow you to photo them with out taking off so quick as our other lot,have you found this hence the curling position ?keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 9:28am
you're right Keith; she knew the game was up and just hunkered down while I took some photos.  Completely exposed to all predators, especially aerial ones like buzzards etc, silly girl!
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2013 at 7:18pm
found another partly melanistic one today, a year on from the last one - this time a juvenile about 3 miles from the previous record, still on Purbeck.  Similar markings, with more oatmeal at the front and more black at the back end:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic